FishinDVM

Fall Run Ranking

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Just a very quick survey to settle a debate I had going with a family member the other day. To this point in the year (first week of Nov), when you look back on the say the last 5 or 10 years of fall run fishing, fishing strictly from the surf, for you personally, would you say this fall so far is:

1) The best ever!

2) Better than most I've had

3) About average, on par

4) Worse than most 

5) Worst I've seen

3,  not like the  ridiculously easy sand eel bite last year or the historical peak years of the 90's but still solid fishing for those willing to put in the hours and lose lotsa sleep.

It’s been meh . I must be at 1000 schoolies in October one good tide of big fish .. had more big fish days last year . The days the large come in beach’s getting fewer every year 

First one I've fished "hard" and I'm having a god time. I've only been skunked once but no big fish. A few days of some really good bites and still holding out hope for something large. I haven't fished much in the past 3-4 years and before that I was all fly fishing. No I'm just surf casting, fishing 1-2 times a week at least 1 night a week. I know that's not fishing hard compared to some but it's a lot more time than I've put in before. Learning a lot this year.

3   -  catching...but all 22 - 26 " class.

As the nights get colder... motivation decreasing to catch 22" bass all night.

Couple of 30's would get my juices flowing... this 22" stuff is getting old fast.

I'll be squidding and herring'n  before you know it

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'd say a 4.  The fishing I have been experiencing the past few years is reminiscent of the fishing I had in the early 90s.  All small fish.  At least we had big blues back then.

Edited by jps1010

4 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

CINCO        can we get atleast one SS bunker bite going without a troller rolling through.

Sadly unlikely. The last few days in the same spot as soon as the birds start working, here come the boats right through the school trolling mojos and bunker spoons.

But to stay on topic, 3. Lots of fish, but smaller.

5...easily the worst I have seen. Numbers are down and size is up slightly, as in 20" vs 23" shorts. Very few 30" plus fish off the local beaches, day or night. The migration seems to come in small 3 day / 4 day windows...then nothing for a week. This was apparent both of the past two years..

Posted (edited) · Report post

3) About average.... but not as many big fish this year. 

Usually fish 5 to 6 times a week via boat and surf (mainly at night) ... lots of schoolies and keepers but that's all. We had an awesome run of big fish 3 weeks ago (Fire island area) between 30-50lbs on topwater. That bite lasted for 2 days of big fish on every cast and that was it. Very short lived. 

Past few nights have yielded around 250 schoolies and a few keepers to 30 inches in the flats. Lets see how this weekends frigid temps will pan out. 

Managed a few 15-18lb fish from the surf in the past 3 weeks. Main body of fish is all schoolies against the beach. 

This time last year was an all out slay fest on fish to 30lbs on sandeels. Very different this year. 

Edited by SpearoFI