Bass Ackwards

Lobstah Pig Out and Lighthouse's Help Wanted

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

My girlfriend and I are thinking about our second trip together, this time to Maine to pig out on lobster and view some lighthouse's. Won't be going till about May. Want to stay in southern Maine. Looking for some area ideas with great views and excellent lobstah. So far just googling the Cape Elizabeth, York, and Port Clyde areas look good. It's been 40 years since I've been up there, what can you suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Port Clyde. 
Fun fact, the lighthouse on PC is the one Forrest Gump went to on his run. 

A0AF3652-DCE9-46CE-8798-42C85447C314.jpeg

I saw that when I was googling around, that picture too I think. Even found a boat ride that takes you by 4 lighthouse's. Girlfriend wants to view them so happy girlfriend happy life. Plus I think seeing them will be cool. Now if we could be eating lobster and viewing them that would be ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checkout The Grand Hotel in Ogunquit they have couple nice packages during the shoulder seasons spring and fall. Shopping and harbor are within walking distance and there is a one mile walking path along the rocky coast. Highly recommend the place and area.

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Why??? I did a quick google and it looks beautiful.

It is beautiful..and not a wicked far ride.  As opposed to Acadia and Bar harbor which are beautiful too but 8 hour ride is a bit much.  Lots of losbsta and tuna boats to look at while eating a bug roll at Barnicle Billies. If you can the Bunny Clark can take you out deep sea fishing.  Probably one of the best ground fishing boats in New England.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perkins Cove is great for photography as well the pathway Marginal Way. Couple of hours up the road is Camden another nice town not to mention nearby lighthouses. We would live there if it wasn't so far from family and the winters, I think they had snow already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, PaddyCrabby said:

It is beautiful..and not a wicked far ride.  As opposed to Acadia and Bar harbor which are beautiful too but 8 hour ride is a bit much.  Lots of losbsta and tuna boats to look at while eating a bug roll at Barnicle Billies. If you can the Bunny Clark can take you out deep sea fishing.  Probably one of the best ground fishing boats in New England.  

I'll be 70 the end of this month  and handicapped so looking to see the sights with very little walking. Also trying to keep the driving down by staying in the southern part of Maine. My girlfriend wants to view lighthouses so that's top of the list. No fishing at all, just sight seeing and lobster eating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I'll be 70 the end of this month  and handicapped so looking to see the sights with very little walking. Also trying to keep the driving down by staying in the southern part of Maine. My girlfriend wants to view lighthouses so that's top of the list. No fishing at all, just sight seeing and lobster eating.

In Southern Maine, I suggest Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier. Easy handicap access with a ramp right down to the pier which overhangs the water. Nice views with lighthouses nearby. Best of all, it's a BYOB establishment. Bring your own beverages such as beer wine or whatever your fancy might be. Excellent lobster rolls or steamed if you like. 

http://www.chaunceycreek.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to visit the Jersey Shore North, stay in Southern Maine, especially Old Orchard Beach with its cheesy T-shirt stores and pier with amusement rides, but you can't get INSIDE a lighthouse.  The only time you can get inside in more than the very few that are open to visitors, is on Lighthouse Saturday sometime in mid-September.

 

To actually get inside some, you'll need to come up to Midcoast Maine where the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse is open on weekends, Mothers Day - Memorial Day weekend, and then daily until Columbus Day.  Come on select Friday afternoons and I'll be the docent there.  Pemaquid Point is the lighthouse on the Maine State Quarter and the one that was available as a desktop background in Windows 7.

 

fad4fa120d2be174190217171ce7ad37.jpg

 

More Midcoast Lighthouses: On weekends during the summer you can also get into Rockland Breakwater Light after taking a 2 mile round trip hike on a breakwater that's pretty much an "autobahn" as far as breakwaters go, really easy walking on the large flat stones.  Just stay away from it at dead high tides, especially during Full or New Moons and/or stiff easterlies, your feet will get wet.

 

I wouldn't drive out to see the Port Clyde lighthouse as it's really a "nothing" as far as lighthouse go and you can see it fine from the lighthouse cruise which is a nice boat ride that I recommend.  There are also lighthouse cruises from Boothbay Harbor, Maine Maritime Museum in Bath and New Harbor.  You can also take boat rides to visit Burnt Island light near Boothbay Harbor and Seguin Light off of the Kennebec, the only 1st Order Fresnel Lens Light (BIG AZZ) in Maine.

 

I guess that no "Lighthouse Visit"  would be complete without seeing Portland Head in Cape Elizabeth, but once again, they're not usually open unless it's Lighthouse Saturday.

 

Lobster feasts are all around, just DON'T get suckered into eating at tourists traps like Red's Eats in Wiscasset, where the diesel fumes from Rt. 1 traffic adds a certain Je ne sais quoi to their overpriced and overrated lobster roll containing frozen, Canadian lobster meat.  Ignore Yelp, Trip Adviser and other tour guides, but ask the locals.  We all have "favorite lobster places", and they rarely show up in those sites/publications; we just like to keep the crowds down...

 

Message me if you have any further questions...

Edited by Roccus7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, bospa357 said:

In Southern Maine, I suggest Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier. Easy handicap access with a ramp right down to the pier which overhangs the water. Nice views with lighthouses nearby. Best of all, it's a BYOB establishment. Bring your own beverages such as beer wine or whatever your fancy might be. Excellent lobster rolls or steamed if you like. 

http://www.chaunceycreek.com/

Thanks for the suggestion, I saw that restaurant googling, remember the Tributary beer.:th: Most likely will be one of our stops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I saw that restaurant googling, remember the Tributary beer.:th: Most likely will be one of our stops.

You won't regret it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2019 at 8:17 AM, Roccus7 said:

If you want to visit the Jersey Shore North, stay in Southern Maine, especially Old Orchard Beach with its cheesy T-shirt stores and pier with amusement rides, but you can't get INSIDE a lighthouse.  The only time you can get inside in more than the very few that are open to visitors, is on Lighthouse Saturday sometime in mid-September.

 

To actually get inside some, you'll need to come up to Midcoast Maine where the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse is open on weekends, Mothers Day - Memorial Day weekend, and then daily until Columbus Day.  Come on select Friday afternoons and I'll be the docent there.  Pemaquid Point is the lighthouse on the Maine State Quarter and the one that was available as a desktop background in Windows 7.

 

fad4fa120d2be174190217171ce7ad37.jpg

 

More Midcoast Lighthouses: On weekends during the summer you can also get into Rockland Breakwater Light after taking a 2 mile round trip hike on a breakwater that's pretty much an "autobahn" as far as breakwaters go, really easy walking on the large flat stones.  Just stay away from it at dead high tides, especially during Full or New Moons and/or stiff easterlies, your feet will get wet.

 

I wouldn't drive out to see the Port Clyde lighthouse as it's really a "nothing" as far as lighthouse go and you can see it fine from the lighthouse cruise which is a nice boat ride that I recommend.  There are also lighthouse cruises from Boothbay Harbor, Maine Maritime Museum in Bath and New Harbor.  You can also take boat rides to visit Burnt Island light near Boothbay Harbor and Seguin Light off of the Kennebec, the only 1st Order Fresnel Lens Light (BIG AZZ) in Maine.

 

I guess that no "Lighthouse Visit"  would be complete without seeing Portland Head in Cape Elizabeth, but once again, they're not usually open unless it's Lighthouse Saturday.

 

Lobster feasts are all around, just DON'T get suckered into eating at tourists traps like Red's Eats in Wiscasset, where the diesel fumes from Rt. 1 traffic adds a certain Je ne sais quoi to their overpriced and overrated lobster roll containing frozen, Canadian lobster meat.  Ignore Yelp, Trip Adviser and other tour guides, but ask the locals.  We all have "favorite lobster places", and they rarely show up in those sites/publications; we just like to keep the crowds down...

 

Message me if you have any further questions

Thank you for the great post. I'm trying to keep the driving down to as little as possible as we're both 70 and only have a few days to do this, hence southern Maine. What would you suggest to be the best area to reserve hotel rooms to view lighthouses and eat lobstah? An ice cream shop would be a bonus as my girlfriend loves ice scream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

open and conceal carry  is legal in Maine without a permit. Any person 21 or older who can legally possess a firearm is allowed to carry openly or concealed. 

Edited by big popper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.