flyangler

Get Woke, Get Stuck in Middle of Atlantic - Greta Needs a Ride Edition

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Everyone should find the irony of this amusing, no? 

First, the 2019 United Nations Climate Change Conference, also known as COP25, is to be the 25th United Nations Climate Change conference and was under the presidency of Chile. It was supposed to take place in Santiago, Chile but had to be relocated due to the ongoing civil unrest snd protests in Chile. 

So where does that leave poor Greta Thunberg? Recall that the little climate warrior has sworn off air travel for herself because it of concerns for her carbon footprint. So she was sailing across the Atlantic to participate in COP25 in Chile. But now that the conference has been relocated to Spain, poor Greta is stuck without a ride back across the Atlantic to Spain. 

CNN:

Thunberg has traveled halfway to the South American nation but will need to turn back to make the UN climate summit. 
The activist refuses to fly due to high levels of emissions from air travel and instead uses boats, trains and electric cars to get around.

"It turns out I've traveled half around the world, the wrong way," Thunberg wrote on Twitter. "Now I need to find a way to cross the Atlantic in November... If anyone could help me find transport I would be so grateful."

Chilean President Sebastian Pinera said Wednesday that he was "deeply sorry for the problems and inconveniences" his decision would cause.

In the televised statement, he said that "as the president of all Chileans, I always have to put the problems and interests of Chileans first, their needs and hopes."

Pinera also canceled the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit scheduled for November.

Chile's protests began over a now-suspended price hike for subway tickets in Santiago. They expanded, revealing anger among ordinary Chileans who feel excluded from the nation's economic rise. Many of the protesters are now asking for Pinera's resignation.

2B4D41DA-E80F-4534-A2B2-795DF380D0B4.jpeg.f0f918de776e209fb875b6e0d5945ccd.jpeg

The move also affects a group of 36 young climate activists crossing the Atlantic by sailboat to attend.

They were shocked to learn the event was canceled four weeks into their grueling voyage, after they set off from Amsterdam on October 2. They were using a sailboat highlight the impact of flying on greenhouse gas emissions.

The Sail to the COP group said in a statement Thursday that it had decided to sail on to Belém, Brazil.

"After the initial shock and sadness the news brought, everyone came together determined to continue what we started: putting the climate impact of aviation on the international agenda," read a statement from the group.

Thunberg undertook her own 15-day trans-Atlantic voyage to New York in August in the high-tech, zero-emissions sailboat Malizia II to attend the UN Climate Action Summit in September.

Yup.  There is a certain level of humorous irony here.

And yet your post reminds me of a few lines from David Bowie's Changes.

And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Our hearts bleed for her, they'll just have to show looped clips of her stolen childhood speech to the UN.

Virtue signalling has its downside sometimes.

Edited by zybathegeek

4 hours ago, moonbat said:

Yup.  There is a certain level of humorous irony here.

And yet your post reminds me of a few lines from David Bowie's Changes.

And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Amusing, given the narcissism of Bowie's generation led us to this moment. His generation was ignored by the eldsters, now the eldsters are kowtowing to the youngsters in a sign of their own feelings of guilt and imagined failure to have changed the world completely. 

Edited by tomkaz

4 mins ago, FishinMortician said:

Swimming makes her fart.

Yea butt butt if she flatulates while doing a backstroke the hot escaping gas's will help keep her more buoyant.

3 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Yea butt butt if she flatulates while doing a backstroke the hot escaping gas's will help keep her more buoyant.

Well to listen to the communists fawning over her, she could just walk to Spain.