Southcoastphil

Danny plugs: Roll or no roll?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

While recently reading many articles about metal lip plugs, I was quite surprised to see several authors' statements that good Danny plugs swim with a side-to-side or S-shaped action, with no roll.  Those that do roll, even after attempts to tune them, should be relegated to use as paperweights or kindling.  (I'm being only slightly facetious with that last phrase, using it to indicate their uselessness in the eyes of some authors.)

I always thought that the rolling action was characteristic of Danny plugs.

I'm keen to learn your thoughts on this, especially from you builders out there.

3 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

While recently reading many articles about metal lip plugs, I was quite surprised to see several authors' statements that good Danny plugs swim with a side-to-side or S-shaped action, with no roll.  Those that do roll, even after attempts to tune them, should be relegated to use as paperweights or kindling.  (I'm being only slightly facetious with that last phrase, using it to indicate their uselessness in the eyes of some authors.)

I always thought that the rolling action was characteristic of Danny plugs.

I'm keen to learn your thoughts on this, especially from you builders out there.

I’d like to read those articles, I too thought the roll was part of the inherent Danny action......

Just now, john1234 said:

I’d like to read those articles, I too thought the roll was part of the inherent Danny action......

They were from old issues of OTW magazine, which requires a subscription to access.

Danny made many different models that react and respond differently. What is a Danny plug to you, Surface Swimmer, Troller, Conrad, Slopehead, etc? Made by Danny or one of the many who put their own spin on one of his numerous models?

I enjoy some roll in a surface swimmer.... generally the flat faced design an weight placement on traditional dannys mitigate any roll at all.  Some new stuff out there might be different.

Edited by DeepBlue85

On 11/3/2019 at 9:39 AM, Southcoastphil said:

That ignores my question.

no roll.

you want a rolling wobble get a pikie

I had also read an older article from OTW that said the Danny shouldn’t swim even a few inches underwater, only on top. I made it should like this is mandatory. I’ve also tuned some mine to swim a little deeper and caught nice fish on them that way. I think you’d catch both ways, rolling or no roll. Depending on what triggers the fish that night. 

I think you will find that most, if not all, surface swimmers have at least some roll. As long as the danny does not roll out, I don't mind some roll in them. Creates more vibrations in the water. On ones that have a good amount of roll, no eyes and simple color patterns (solid or two tone) are prefered.