flyangler

Get Woke, Go Broke - Terminator: Dark Fate edition

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

What do they expect after the woke Ghost Busters, box office success? Leave to Hollywood to take one of the greatest movie franchises, bring back its original stars and blow if because they had to make a man-diminished, feminist friendly version of a classic. 

GET WOKE, GO BROKE: Terminator: Dark Fate Bombs At The Box Office.

Let’s not beat around the bush, Terminator Dark Fate is an unoriginal disgrace on just about every level. The very fiber of this film comes off as someone who is ashamed that the foundation of this franchise does not fit their current day intersectional feminist worldview, so they decided to change it by repealing and replacing everything they felt was problematic with more progressive friendly elements.

Let’s start with John Connor. The character who is the primary protagonist of the Terminator franchise is killed minutes into the film and is completely removed from the equation only to be replaced by the new hero of Daniella “Dani” Ramos. This is why progressive think tanks are killing cinema and entertainment as we know it. Because in the world of intersectionality, the only thing they see is a white male action star who just doesn’t fit the bill of the modern Hollywood diversity and inclusion agenda so he must be replaced. If you thought it was bad enough that they made John a villain in the last movie, the progressive Gods decided it was time for him to die thus rendering the plot of multiple films completely and utterly useless.

And even the film critics agree, awarding the movie a tepid 69% on Rotten Tomatoes with a current IMDB score of just 6.6. Aside from the politics, the consensus is that “Terminator: Dark Fate” treads no new territory and treads it rather lightly.

“There are more than enough ingredients here to cook up one rousing and thought-provoking sci-fi thriller. Except this time around, they’re just serving up overcooked leftovers,” wrote Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times.

“The visual effects are consistently the strongest part of Dark Fate. But they’re in the service of a blockbuster that is relentless in its one-note intensity,” wrote Christy Lemire.

I’m surprised (not really) to see another “get woke go broke” movie thread after the Captain Marvel spectacular fail thread. 

Maybe this movie just plain old sucks?

Edited by Sqwiddig

1 hour ago, Sqwiddig said:

I’m surprised (not really) to see another “get woke go broke” movie thread after the Captain Marvel spectacular fail thread. 

Maybe this movie just plain old sucks?

Three GWGB movie threads, Ghostbusters, Capt Marvel and this one. First one sucked balls and bombed at box office. Marvel was a huge hit, especially overseas (over 60%).

Ghostbuster was a feminized retread of an I woke original that could never be made today, and failed.  

Marvel was original from a strong franchise, it succeeded. 

Terminator is from established series and feminized, time will tell. 

1 hour ago, iphish said:

I have seen "woke" used several times this week, once with Obama using in a speach. What does it mean exactly?

woke: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

woke: the act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue

Edited by tomkaz

19 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Three GWGB movie threads, Ghostbusters, Capt Marvel and this one. First one sucked balls and bombed at box office. Marvel was a huge hit, especially overseas (over 60%).

Ghostbuster was a feminized retread of an I woke original that could never be made today, and failed.  

Marvel was a somewhat critical last piece of the puzzle for End Game.  There was no realistic way it couldn't succeed to some extent.

24 mins ago, tomkaz said:

The first two Terminator movies are classics, but I think they have since lost the thread. I wasn’t even aware this is the sixth movie. I vaguely remember liking one with Christian Bale and Sam Worthington, but can’t recall much re the story.  That’s it for me beyond the first two. Can’t imagine paying to see this one in a theater. 

if this one bombs, I wouldn’t leap to attribute its failure to its “wokeness.”

19 hours ago, Sqwiddig said:

The first two Terminator movies are classics, but I think they have since lost the thread. I wasn’t even aware this is the sixth movie. I vaguely remember liking one with Christian Bale and Sam Worthington, but can’t recall much re the story.  That’s it for me beyond the first two. Can’t imagine paying to see this one in a theater. 

if this one bombs, I wouldn’t leap to attribute its failure to its “wokeness.”

Well I don’t mind making that leap. Your team is always right, except when they cannot control the messaging. Movie reviewers have not be censored enough I guess.

30 mins ago, FishinMortician said:

Well I don’t mind making that leap. Your team is always right, except when they cannot control the messaging. Movie reviewers have not be censored enough I guess.

:fire:

I haven’t seen a new concept come out of Hollywood since Fight Club. It’s all franchise sequels or old ideas being done in a modern (albeit bad) way. 

Save money and don’t feed that community. 

I wonder if if things are going bad in the absence of Harvey Weinstein?