Slowwwride

Why are bucktails so hard for newbies

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, Pierogi Smash said:

I have been thinking of doing just that. Buying blanks from here and dressing them up seems like a good winter project.  

It can be a good way to spend the off season. IMO the biggest advantage is you can fine tune them to fit your fishing. It's doubtful that many folks actually save money by tying, but on a per each basis, it's less costly than buying if you consider your time as "free".

I got into it many years ago, and mold most of the jigs I use too. I consider all of the equipment & supplies an investment, but probably could have bought a nice boat with what I've spent.

D_L and I have become friends because of tying, and a shared interest in fishing. He's only been doing it a short while, but has picked it up quickly and has had success on what he's been tying!

I feel that tying your own gives you a different perspective about using them too.  

Edited by Jim H

Thank you for the replies. Yes 2-0 that outing was not ideal but the conditions were such that you had to get that BT down to 6" off the bottom and then keep it there with occasional twitch to get the bass to bite. We're gonna keep at it. We were both using short Otter Tails. True that needles are tough to learn. I still don't really prefer them.

Tying your own is the way to go. Certain areas I fish your gonna lose jigs and if your not, your not fishing the spot right. I enjoy making tackle and altering gear. Gives you something to do in the winter. 

Lead is easily scrounged. An if your not a deer hunter make friends with some. I'm lucky I have acouple Hundred lbs. Of lead stashed away and live in an area with a large deer population. But even without this I'd still tie my own cause you can make exactly what you want.

I wouldn't call 2 fish to none a buctail presentation success story by any means .....

Ever have someone 30' away bang away at fish & you go fishless..... happens all the time to everyone...

This time of year you can literally let a buc with trailer lye on the bottom & they'll pick it up......

Imo, Isolated pockets of fish at a particular spot within a spot is common....

Cast it out, let it drift, a few pops here and there, slow retrieve, it's not rocket science he'll get it after the first bump.

Practice on a sandy bottom. Going much heavier than needed worked for me. Should use a 1oz, put on a 2oz, he will feel the thump on the bottom easier. 

Then a quick snap and retrieve off the bottom, feel the thump again. 

Once you understand what hitting bottom feels like,  you can pay attention to the vibration/feel you get from the bucktail sinking. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don’t think most are willing to lose enough bucktails to really learn how to effectively fish the piece of structure they’re on - where/what the structure is, where the current seams are where the fish hold on it, or the proper weights to fish it throughout the changing current speed of tide.  Same goes for any lead head soft plastic.

Recommend any beginner without a mentor watch John Skinner and especially Rich Troxlers videos on bucktailing over and over again. Honestly as many times as possible.

Edited by Bait Tailer