Slowwwride

Why are bucktails so hard for newbies

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, SandSpike1 said:

It doesn't have a feel. It doesn't have a flutter.

It's hard to say if it's swimming properly.

There's a lot of mental gymnastics that go along with bucktailing ...

11 hours ago, sandworm said:

just like hobobob said bring him where there's some water movement and let him feel the bucktail drift, bounce and let him feel the bucktail . it took my brother a couple of years till I showed him where to cast when the water was side washing and where the  lure will end and feel the lure drift naturally into the spot. then he understood.

What he said ^^^............also, try to use the lightest tackle possible so you can feel and stay in touch with the jig....:th:

47 mins ago, b4loran said:

2 fish to zero is not enough proof that he was not getting it.

What i was thinking, that just means there aren't many fish around. 10-0 and your buddy is doing something wrong.

Still learning myself, but something that really helped me was trying bucktails that I definitely felt DIDNT work. Purposely give him something that is too heavy, so that he knows this isn't what he should be feeling.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:10 PM, hobobob said:

Baptism by fire, bring him somewhere with some current, a rip, river, inlet.  Get him a handful of $2 special bucktail from dicks so he could lose it.

On two separate occasions brought different people out to fish. They lose lures not thinking I have to actually buy them.

Yes, let them dole out the money for the lures before going out.

On a serious note, 

bucktailing is best taught when there is a high possibility of catching fish.  I like to use sea robins as teachers for bucktailing because even tho they are trash fish, they rarely hit a bucktail that's not fluttering.  Fluke take this a step further and really require a consistent flutter so it's harder to use as a teacher.  I think bass take it a step farther in requiring a larger profile (heavier weight) 

-- all from the stand point of fishing bucktails, and not actually catching fish.  

I fish a 3/16 oz jig in Charlestown breachway and routinely catch fluke and porgy midsummer and in the same tide will switch up to a 1 oz jig to target bass.  It really just requires patience, but it's fun to catch fish when learning to bucktail (like everything else) 

Be comfortable having them learn on cheap bucktails that you have no confidence in so that you don't care if they get lost :) 

I have forced myself over the past two seasons to use bucktails.  Read Skinners book 4 times last winter, will probably read it 6 times this year.  I am getting the hang of it and only landed my first fish off them this year.  I am/was not new to fishing, but bucktails were something I never used before.  My beef with them was that I hate losing tackle, but if you are doing these right you are going to pay Poseidon's toll.  After losing many, I am gaining confidence and am happy that I have given myself another (potentially potent) option to work with.  

Im finding a bit more luck with jighead on large rubber grubs right now forsome reason......   Little more forgiving action maybe........

Smiling bill jig are good ones to start in sand.  They really tell ya when ya hit bottom.

On 11/3/2019 at 3:53 PM, gman1253 said:

Wait until he tries a needlefish plug.... 

I been there lmfao tough plug to fish especially the super strike. Sinks way too fast. Dying to try the BM I just got though

5 hours ago, Pierogi Smash said:

I have forced myself over the past two seasons to use bucktails.  Read Skinners book 4 times last winter, will probably read it 6 times this year.  I am getting the hang of it and only landed my first fish off them this year.  I am/was not new to fishing, but bucktails were something I never used before.  My beef with them was that I hate losing tackle, but if you are doing these right you are going to pay Poseidon's toll.  After losing many, I am gaining confidence and am happy that I have given myself another (potentially potent) option to work with.  

Then you need to start tying your own! Look at all the money you'll save! :laugh:

You're right, unfortunately losing them is part of the game! 

1 hour ago, Jim H said:

Then you need to start tying your own! Look at all the money you'll save! :laugh:

Yup. Here is one I was working on last night.

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, Jim H said:

I have been thinking of doing just that. Buying blanks from here and dressing them up seems like a good winter project.