Pauleye

Feeling Remorse....Illegal Striper

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Yeah or did you mean you had second thoughts on the way home?

Just finished dinner. Sun was going down and wanted to see if there was any fish activity down the road (less than 1/2 mile from salt) as there was some not to far from that spot in the morning. I also need to run a 2 wheeled carbureted vehicle to “exercise” it. So hopped on my 50cc Harley and checked out the scene with subject perp. I left after talking with him with all 5.25 hp roaring between my legs. On the less than 2 minute ride home and after some time contemplating inside my home I decided to call the Hotline. A short time after the call, I took my 2 bitches (wife and dog) for a walk. I walked by the area and just a short distance away was the CO with perp at tailgate of CO’s truck with 2 rods laying in the street. I abruptly turned and walk in opposite direction as I never expected to see that. My “should I” thoughts hinged on the fact that is it really a good thing to put someone through the potential ass ache over one short fish. I decided it was because it was probably not one short fish, just one that moment. I also think that’s taking from me and all fishermen who spend their free time and money on the sport and respect the rules and resource.  Probably did not help I caught and released a bunch of short fish while fishing on my boat (tog and seabass) and a few that barely “kept” just because. I also caught and released a couple of stripers like the perp had.  I expected he to do the same. 

3 hours ago, nateD said:

Dude is a scumbag, you did the right thing. I'm just confused, you say you saw and heard, but in the post I quoted you said you contemplated making the call as you were driving home.

“Short” drive home. Short enough to be walking distance. Also, I was driving a scooter. 

3 hours ago, FEW3 said:

5 pages of reassuring someone that being a sportsman and steward of the fishery was the right thing to do? . Wtf? 

Quite the supportive bunch! That’s what this forum is all about. 

1 hour ago, BromBones said:

I would have done the same thing....good job!  What's the hotline?  I'm unfamiliar with it.  Is it for a specific state only?

CT DEEP TIP (Turn In Poachers) Hotline

1-800-842-4357

14 hours ago, FishTaco10 said:

But is there one for down here or how do I find it

In NY:

Call the DEC 24-hour telephone hotline to turn in poachers and polluters toll free at 1-844-DEC-ECOS (1-844-332-3267). Callers may request to file a complaint anonymously.

Edited by Captain Ahab