Pauleye

Feeling Remorse....Illegal Striper

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Beachorbust said:

This, if you are conflicted because you dropped a dime on an individual to report breaking of an unjust (to your mind) law, then you should have a couple sleepless nights.

 

Though, if you agree with the law and want to see it upheld, there is no reason to feel any remorse.  Is there something else here at play causing these feelings?

 

It is our duty to reject and disobey unjust laws, and a case could be made for size limits on fish as being unjust.

 

 

1 hour ago, charloots said:

Then he can petition the law makers and change it. 

 

In the meantime; follow the rules, or suffer the consequences and shut up after you get caught breaking them. In other words, eff him and what he does or doesn’t agree with.

 

Good job by the OP. :hi5:

I was quoting someone that did not agree with the laws and called it civil disobedience if he did it, not being an outlaw. Think he did not want to use the legal hooks.

I am not going to make someone throw a dead fish back.

Edited by b4loran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

It's funny you mention CO. We have EP in Mass.  I live on the water and fish regularly.  You know how many times I have seen the EP's this year!  Once!  Last night at the Casino doing traffic detail as I'm getting off the water.  Must be lots of poachers  at 10o'clock at night in the Casino. 

I got checked 2X in 1 week last year by CT. I was on the NY side of the Sound yesterday and was checked by NY. Yesterday evenings response time by CT was 911 like. Very impressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, Pauleye said:

I got checked 2X in 1 week last year by CT. I was on the NY side of the Sound yesterday and was checked by NY. Yesterday evenings response time by CT was 911 like. Very impressed. 

Could have been a ramp up in security due to the marathon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pauleye said:

I witnessed an undersize striper being kept. I informed the person of the activity and said it needs to go back in a friendly manner (although it was dead as a door nail) and his response made it obvious to me he knew the law and he fully intended to break it. I used the hotline option. I saw the person being written up by the CO from a distance and then started feeling lots remorse having called. I have internal conflict. I feel bad for the person getting bagged yet my instinct tells me this a willful repeat offender.  Please tell me I did the right thing and I’m not an over-the-top self righteous fisherman. It wasn’t even close to 28”. 

 

As a a side note, the hotline works!

You did the right thing. He broke the law, and people won’t stop if they don’t have consequences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel bad? No way. You did the right thing, and should do it again if the opportunity arises. We all need to do this, every time, whether the cops show up or not. We all know there aren’t enough green police, so let’s do what we can to help them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we had an incident where a guy was snagging fish, they called the ranger called the warden no show, so the guy videoed the whole thing  and posted it on facebook  well it worked they were able bust the guy using the video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 9:09 PM, Pauleye said:

I was informed by the fisher that the fish has 15 minutes (where it can survive on land before it should go back) and I respond simply, “No it doesn’t.” Then he takes a cast and I ask why don’t you throw it back right now (instead of taking another cast) and the response was “I like to look at it.”  I was cordial for a couple more minutes making small talk (I am so not confrontational) and left, fuming. I replayed the scene over and over on my very short ride home and made the hotline call. I am still playing it over and over. Now that I am typing some of the specifics, I think I made the right call.

You DEFINITELY made the right call!

a.) You tried to talk to the individual

b.) They got righteous and curt with you

c.) You quoted the law

 

YOU DID the right thing !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya did good!  The guy was a D*#$ . FWIW,  I'm impressed that LE actually showed up and took action. My experience with the same has been an exercise in futility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 9:09 PM, Pauleye said:

I was informed by the fisher that the fish has 15 minutes (where it can survive on land before it should go back) and I respond simply, “No it doesn’t.” Then he takes a cast and I ask why don’t you throw it back right now (instead of taking another cast) and the response was “I like to look at it.”  I was cordial for a couple more minutes making small talk (I am so not confrontational) and left, fuming. I replayed the scene over and over on my very short ride home and made the hotline call. I am still playing it over and over. Now that I am typing some of the specifics, I think I made the right call.

So you saw him get written up after you got home? Also what hotline did you use? I've called a few times and they never show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nateD said:

So you saw him get written up after you got home? Also what hotline did you use? I've called a few times and they never show up.

DEEP Hotline on Fisheries website. Yes I did see and hear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Pauleye said:

DEEP Hotline on Fisheries website. Yes I did see and hear. 

Dude is a scumbag, you did the right thing. I'm just confused, you say you saw and heard, but in the post I quoted you said you contemplated making the call as you were driving home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.