Feeling Remorse....Illegal Striper

Rate this topic

Pauleye

8 mins ago, Pauleye said:

I witnessed an undersize striper being kept. I informed the person of the activity and said it needs to go back in a friendly manner (although it was dead as a door nail) and his response made it obvious to me he knew the law and he fully intended to break it. I used the hotline option. I saw the person being written up by the CO from a distance and then started feeling lots remorse having called. I have internal conflict. I feel bad for the person getting bagged yet my instinct tells me this a willful repeat offender.  Please tell me I did the right thing and I’m not an over-the-top self righteous fisherman. It wasn’t even close to 28”. 

As a a side note, the hotline works!

I wish more people had your courage. You did right and screw him, he's or she is the reason we are in the fight we are in. No respect for the longevity or health of the fishery... good on you. Screw him or her.

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

People need to hold others accountable. U did the right thing. Yea it sucks gettin people in trouble but he asked for it. if everyone kept shorts there’d be no fish left. Maybe that taught him something and hopefully he’ll stop and be aware of the next guy poaching fish.

Understand your feelings... but you did try to talk with him first. And I have seen over the years that usually ppl who take undersized are repeat offenders... like very often. It’s just not cool. I think you did the right thing... but I would just steer clear of that guy lol 

I was informed by the fisher that the fish has 15 minutes (where it can survive on land before it should go back) and I respond simply, “No it doesn’t.” Then he takes a cast and I ask why don’t you throw it back right now (instead of taking another cast) and the response was “I like to look at it.”  I was cordial for a couple more minutes making small talk (I am so not confrontational) and left, fuming. I replayed the scene over and over on my very short ride home and made the hotline call. I am still playing it over and over. Now that I am typing some of the specifics, I think I made the right call.

(*member formerly known as 'SWPaulie')