Borsig

Reel for my first nice rod - Century weapon jr 7'6

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I ended up buying a 7'6" Century Weapon Jr this weekend. 

Looking for suggestions on a reel that will hold up to being splashed with salt water, etc wading out in the back bays and the surf. 

I have a Diawa back bay xh with a saltist 3000, and the saltist has not held up for me. I've had it a year and it's sticky, not smooth, and does not jig well. It's 'hard to start' sometimes when using the starting and stopping of a jig motion. I assume it's going to need cleaned and serviced. 

My spinfisher vi does not give me these problems and has seen far worse punishment. 

All of my reels get washed off with fresh water and sprayed with ballistol after use. 

I was looking at a daiwa back bay saltist reel, but I am not happy with how my saltist already needs to be serviced. 

A spinfisher vi is too heavy for this setup, as I want to twitch all day with it. I've been very happy with my spinfisher vi, but it's not the reel for this rod. 

My budget is 200.00. Would a shimano Stradic FL be the best choice? 

I feel like even my cheap kastking has withstood use better than that saltist. I like that reel a lot, but I'm bitter it didn't keep the elements out better and already needs a service trip. 

Edited by Borsig

I have a similar style rod paired up with an Abu Revo inshore.  Nice light reel with some sealing so it can take saltwater use.  Not a reel to dunk but is in your price point and lots of fun.

I'd not considered abu. I will look at it.

Guy at the local shop (young kid, not sure I believe him) said the Stradic FL was oiled, not greased so water doesnt effect it, and it has oil ports you just inject oil into. I come here, see one disassembled, and it is packed with grease, so he's clearly full of it.

Just realized that the "mag seal oil" Daiwa uses is either really expensive, or unobtainium. I guess I will send my exactly one year old reel in for service and pay the 30.00 fee plus shipping. I won't be buying a Daiwa reel for this rod. I like that saltist, but it feels like it has gum in it at this point. I'm almost tempted to look at another penn, as my slammer ans SSVI have been nearly flawless. The SSVI sees easily the most punishment. I only fish in the fall. That saltist didn't last any time before needing service.

Firstly , very envious of your rod purchase. Although the blanks are made in England we can’t get century USA specification rods over here. Sounds a beauty.

i have a couple of tsunami shields, 3000 size, nice and light but i would say that the drags are a bit erratic. They do take a bit of a battering though so for the money not bad.

in addition to light surf i use them for river wading for trout. This is my best this year.

which ever reel you choose, enjoy that rod,

C103E56F-B877-4B2F-B09B-6F708F88857A.jpeg

I have a bit of spend - remorse, but I like the shop and guy I bought it from. And the rod throws a freaking mile.

The reel, I can't screw up that choice though. Rod broke my wallet.

I have the same rod with a Certate 4k on it. It is a light reel and a perfect match. I would think a Stradic 3-4k would fit nice (even an FK). It is a light rod, so I didn’t want to get too heavy of a reel for it.

BTW, that rod is a beast and VERY capable and landing big fish. I love mine.

4BF4F3D4-670E-4DD5-AB1C-31127BB9DD2F.jpeg

Edited by sistm

I won't buy another Daiwa magsealed. My saltist didn't work well, and now I'm out my only light reel for this week.

The rod seems VERY nice. I won't have the cash for a new reel for a bit yet. will likely be a christmas gift from the wife.

12 hours ago, Borsig said:

I'd not considered abu. I will look at it.

Guy at the local shop (young kid, not sure I believe him) said the Stradic FL was oiled, not greased so water doesnt effect it, and it has oil ports you just inject oil into. I come here, see one disassembled, and it is packed with grease, so he's clearly full of it.

Just realized that the "mag seal oil" Daiwa uses is either really expensive, or unobtainium. I guess I will send my exactly one year old reel in for service and pay the 30.00 fee plus shipping. I won't be buying a Daiwa reel for this rod. I like that saltist, but it feels like it has gum in it at this point. I'm almost tempted to look at another penn, as my slammer ans SSVI have been nearly flawless. The SSVI sees easily the most punishment. I only fish in the fall. That saltist didn't last any time before needing service.

Give Daiwa service a chance, their warranty is one year and they may just replace the fluid under warranty. I had a similar problem with an Isla that was 2 years old, and they replaced the fluid no charge. I have always had a fast turn around with them too.

Edited by sistm