Slowwwride

Tog in the RB

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

SlowRide,

I posted the below in the bottom fishing section last month. I have no idea if tog are in RB or if just the places I went. I hit a lot of places but there are others I did not have time to try. Go out and give it a try, the worse that happens is you dont catch fish, the best is that you find your own "secret" spot. Much about fishing is just a willingness to give it a try, sometimes it works out and sometimes it don't. I am sure tog are in RB but where and the method to get em is half the fun of fishing. I am sure if others have figured out this riddle they aint giving it up over the internet open forum.

"I will start out by saying I blackfish 2 or 3 times a fall. With fly fishing for stripers being terrible so far I have this itch to look for black fish in the bay. I dont have boat. 

I have fished various NJ jetties that let river/bay water empty into ocean, both in Monmouth county and ocean county. I am sure I dont need to name them but none of them are secret spots.  

For years I wondered if the bay would black fish the same. So today I decided to go and try. I hit a few spots I know that have rock jetties that extend into the bay for the purpose of protecting the outflow of small creeks or marina's. 

Got my crabs and dropped them in up against the rocks. I fished fairly hard all the spots I could think off, from the mouths and back. Would fish both sides and even fished a few rocks that are just there for unknown reasons or at least to me. 

Did not get a single tap in the 4 plus hours. It was a nice day and I have been wanted to try it but always ended up going for stripers. I am glad I did it, nothing ventured nothing gained in life but did find it odd that not a single tap was had. 

I admit my general lack of black fishing skill could be cause but so be it. I have few other idea's on black fishing that probably won't work but life is an adventure and doing something different may pan out. "

43 mins ago, jerseystriper said:

SlowRide,

I posted the below in the bottom fishing section last month. I have no idea if tog are in RB or if just the places I went. I hit a lot of places but there are others I did not have time to try. Go out and give it a try, the worse that happens is you dont catch fish, the best is that you find your own "secret" spot. Much about fishing is just a willingness to give it a try, sometimes it works out and sometimes it don't. I am sure tog are in RB but where and the method to get em is half the fun of fishing. I am sure if others have figured out this riddle they aint giving it up over the internet open forum.

"I will start out by saying I blackfish 2 or 3 times a fall. With fly fishing for stripers being terrible so far I have this itch to look for black fish in the bay. I dont have boat. 

I have fished various NJ jetties that let river/bay water empty into ocean, both in Monmouth county and ocean county. I am sure I dont need to name them but none of them are secret spots.  

For years I wondered if the bay would black fish the same. So today I decided to go and try. I hit a few spots I know that have rock jetties that extend into the bay for the purpose of protecting the outflow of small creeks or marina's. 

Got my crabs and dropped them in up against the rocks. I fished fairly hard all the spots I could think off, from the mouths and back. Would fish both sides and even fished a few rocks that are just there for unknown reasons or at least to me. 

Did not get a single tap in the 4 plus hours. It was a nice day and I have been wanted to try it but always ended up going for stripers. I am glad I did it, nothing ventured nothing gained in life but did find it odd that not a single tap was had. 

I admit my general lack of black fishing skill could be cause but so be it. I have few other idea's on black fishing that probably won't work but life is an adventure and doing something different may pan out. "

I have caught Tog in the back in the spring.. have not tried for them in the fall

Use a hi lo, crab on the low side, and either crab on the high, or squid, clam, or a Berkley gulp.   easy way to by catch sea bass.  Bass can hit too.

I snell the bottom hook, then about 6 to 8 inch down from the tag line put a loop for a 1 to 3oz bank sinker.  Lighter the sinker the better you feel the bite.   Maybe 6 to 18 inches higher up another sneeled right or or a hi lo rig loop.   1/0 or 3/0 hook is what I use, usually octopus or circle.   I prefer baitholder barbs on my hooks.

They fish on sight, they hold to structure, and pretty much only eat during the day.  I can't remember having my bait in for a long period of time before they bite.  after a minute to 5 minutes, I either reel it in a bit or recast to a new spot.  I either use a whole crab or half.  I cut the claws off, but usually leave the legs, they help with fish sighting.  If they're stealing a lot, then I cut the legs off entirely.

Edited by salt deficient

Dang man.... sometimes back in the RB I wonder if there's gotta be something other than dead brown water down there. It's such a weird fishery.... flush with blues and stripers in the early/late spring....then then the blues and then the fluke are hit and miss from the bank. Always schoolie dudes around during the season. Had some success with white perch way back in the RR itself in the tidal sections.