D1fishr

How many 16 gaugers on here?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

I’m fond of this time of year, and the shotguns that go with it, like the 16 gauge.  Took a hog of a tree rat one day last week. Pulled him out of his pajamas, quartered him, then into the hot bacon grease in a cast iron pan.  I got really into my 20 gauge Ithaca 37 for a while and forgot how much I like the 16. 

What are you carrying? Remmy? Winnie? Ithaca? Fox? Parker? Lefever? Sterlingworth? Semi? Pump? Single? Double? SxS or O/U? Slinging slugs or shot?

Remington 1984

It was passed down to my grandfather by his father.   My grandfather  had it rebarreled by Lefever back in the late 60s early 70s and  I got it 10 years ago when he passed away. 

I have a few of his guns and wouldn't part with any of them.

Edited by DMacLeod

Dad gave me his Browning Auto A5 Sweet 16.

It's like new. 

Have the original receipt from 1968.

I'v e shot it a few times but it's a safe queen.

Purchased my first shotgun in 1960. Winchester Model 12 skeet grade

in 16 ga. Came with a 26" skeet barrel and a 28" modified barrel.

Barrels had matted ribs, not vented.

Also came with a leg of mutton leather case. Gun was used but in

great condition. Paid $125.00 for it.

Shot several hundred rounds at Remingtons Lordship range.  Also got

my fair share of pheasant  and ruffed grouse.

I have owned several quality 20ga. sxs and o/u shot guns

but I truly missed that Model 12. 16 g.

I’ve got an inexpensive zasatava sxs in 16.  Picked up a box of Kent bismuth and knocked down a few mallards with it in the early season.  I’ve been enjoying carrying it

I have my grandfathers 16 ga o/u. Learned to hunt with it and got it back when he passed in1978. Probably been 25 years or more since I shot it, not even sure what make it is.

Don't have a 16 now, but the first shotgun I bought, was a 16 ga bolt action with a poly-choke.  Can't remember who made it, any thoughts?  Killed a lot of rabbits and a few ringnecks with that gun, until the stock split in half.   

29 mins ago, Riverboat33 said:

Don't have a 16 now, but the first shotgun I bought, was a 16 ga bolt action with a poly-choke.  Can't remember who made it, any thoughts?  Killed a lot of rabbits and a few ringnecks with that gun, until the stock split in half.   

Maybe a Mossberg or Marlin?

Stefano Marochi side by side 16 purchased from Tosi Music Co. Hanover St., Boston 1955 (store long gone). Handed down from my father. Use it for Maine partridge and rabbits. Also MA/NH rabbits and pheasants.

31 mins ago, b4loran said:

Went on a 16 kick 30 years ago. Got a 1100,870, model 37 and a model 12. Wish I had spent the money on 28's and or .410's.

Model 37:love:

Just now, D1fishr said:

Model 37:love:

Love them bottom ejection. Love my Browning pumps too, killed so many deer with my 10 gauge BPS. My kid turned out to be a lefty so that worked out good, even though it does not bother him to eject shells past his face.

When I got to the ripe old age of 8ish I started bugging my mother to let me take the 22 out hunting. No one in my family hunted or had guns except for this bolt action 22 my uncle had before he died. Finally when I turned twelve my mother got so sick of me pestering her to take the 22 hunting she said "take it hunting, kill yourself, see if I care'. For a year I didn't kill myself, or anything else, and when I turned 13 my parents let me get my first shotgun. I was an 'expert' on guns by 13, knew a 12ga would knock me on my ass and break my shoulder and a 20ga wasn't powerful enough to kill anything so I got my first and only 16ga which I paid for myself. It was a Mossberg bolt action. Remember the first time taking it out, a flock of geese took off and led them by a good football field or two and as far as I know they are still flying. And son of a beach did that cannon hurt my 13 year old shoulder. Never did kill anything worthwhile with it and traded when I was 16 for a Mossberg 500. No longer have either Mossberg but still have that 22 my uncle had.