cec127

Layout help

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, could use a little help with an upcoming winter build. I have done a few KL-H builds. I am thinking of building a 9’6 ODM evolution or nex-1 (3/4-5oz). Due to the oz range would like to use a double foot KW guide. Then switch to KL-H or KW single foot guides to KT7 running guides. Could use a few lay out suggestions and opinions. The reel seat will start at 17.12 inches end at 22 inches. The seat I am using is 4.882" (124mm). Will be using a vs150 with 30lb super slick braid. Open to other guide suggestion as well. Was depending low rider guides as a second option. 

I think an RV or Klh would work very well with that rod. 

A KW setup is solid and proven but after fishing RV/kl I don’t think I will do another kw set up. 

20 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I think an RV or Klh would work very well with that rod. 

A KW setup is solid and proven but after fishing RV/kl I don’t think I will do another kw set up. 

Would consider RV. Was looking but could only find them in titanium. Worried the first guide being single foot kl won’t hold up throwing closer to 5oz. 

I have a kl set up on an odm 11’ nex1, 3/4-4 and have no issues. I don’t throw the hi end. 

my biggest concerns with single guides is banging them during travel, etc. I have no concerns about them while fishing. 

14 mins ago, wiretap said:

Sorry for jumping on this thread. 

Where do you guys buy your guides? Mudhole doesn't have all the styles you are denoting, unless Im just bad at looking. 

Mudhole definitely has them. 

On 11/2/2019 at 1:12 PM, cec127 said:

Would consider RV. Was looking but could only find them in titanium. Worried the first guide being single foot kl won’t hold up throwing closer to 5oz. 

RV's only come in Titanium. 

On 11/2/2019 at 1:12 PM, cec127 said:

5oz? That’s light work for the KLH25 stripper. The only way that stripper is getting messed up is from you dropping the rod or from bad transportation and handling. 

My friend does 8nbait with his klh guidetrain and I’ve been jigging the canal with KLH guides with kb6 belly guides for two years going strong. Upto 36lb bass so it’s held up on my end 

I think you should checkout the Micro wave 30 line control guides, I don't think I'll ever build another rod without them. Significant difference in distance, great line control and no line slap. I built a 10ft. Supersurf and a 9"6' Suzuki Blackhole with these guides and they are awesome, you won't be disappointed.

Cec127 - So how did it end? What did you end up doing with the layout?

Test cast / load test yet? How’ it go?

I just took delivery last weekend of a 10 ft ODM Evolution custom layout cut down to 9 ft. 6 in for a VSX200...built by Grumpy’s (A1 job they did!!)

Casted out front in the surf for 30 mins —- let me just say you’re gonna really like the rod...hope your build went well...let us know.

33 mins ago, jasbake2 said:

Cec127 - So how did it end? What did you end up doing with the layout?

Test cast / load test yet? How’ it go?

I just took delivery last weekend of a 10 ft ODM Evolution custom layout cut down to 9 ft. 6 in for a VSX200...built by Grumpy’s (A1 job they did!!)

Casted out front in the surf for 30 mins —- let me just say you’re gonna really like the rod...hope your build went well...let us know.

I ended up keeping my CTS Vapor Trail. Still want to build the Evolution but just cant see having both right now. Good luck with yours, definitely an awesome blank!

Edited by cec127