G. Loomis blanks

Chuckbull

I’ve got a handful of Loomis blanks. Maybe 15 or so. I’m no rod builder and I’m not quite sure what to do with all of them. I’ve had them for a few years with plans to get them built or try and do it myself but they’re just hangin around. 4 or 5 are fly rods. Im6. 2 piece 4 power I believe. Maybe 5. The remaining are light to medium power blanks between 5 and 6ft maybe a 7 or two in there. Anyone have any suggestions??

Each of these were in plastic sleeves that say g loomis. None of the butts are marked. Some have tape that’s been laid into the epoxy at the butt but it doesn’t say anything. Some are blanks are brown some are reddish others are black and some look like carbon fiber. The printed info on the label is faded and can’t be read on most. There’s one saying c721 another c722 then the fly rods say f904 im6 f844 im6 f102s im6. The rest are unreadable

• 1 month later...

There should also be decals with the specifications in the bags if they were first run blanks. These will give you more detail. If you have the decals then Scooby is correct there will be people knocking on your door. Hard to tell just by looking at a blank what it is or who made it. The gl3 Loomis blanks where Mahogonny, the IMX where a slate black color. However there are many other blanks that match those colors as well. You could measure the butts and tips and compare it to an older catalog as well. The best is to have the header card, plastic bag, the decal, and the butt labeled. Without those they could really be anything.

DG

Yea all I know is what the handful still packaged said. They were all in g. Loomis plastic bags. Most were unreadable on the labels and the bags were pretty beat up so I trashed them. But the few Of them that were legible and in good shape say nothing about the blank material. Just the length and power.

I called loomis and they said it may be possible to tell without labeling if an experienced builder inspected them. They said they have some guys who have been building for them for decades so if I sent them in they could take a look and maybe be able to recognize the blank

• 2 weeks later...