john1234

To everyone who is dissatisfied with the new regs....

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, john1234 said:

It’s IMHO better than we had , And although it might not be 100% what we wanted it’s at least more conservation minded than before, Am I wrong?.......

Did new regs get passed? I’ve read that there’s been lots of talk and debate about it, but I didn’t know anything got passed.

What are they, where & when do they go into effect?

Please explain.

Thanks.

JD

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Did new regs get passed? I’ve read that there’s been lots of talk and debate about it, but I didn’t know anything got passed.

What are they, where & when do they go into effect?

Please explain.

Thanks.

JD

16 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Omg how many threads on the same topic can we have.  

I apologize.

I was asking an honest question that I sincerely wanted an answer too. As I said I know & have read the threads talking and debating potential new regs. I just didn’t know they have apparently passed??

I didn’t realize I was doing anything wrong or offensive.

Mods, please delete this thread because apparently there’s something wrong with it?

JD

In a nutshell, ASMFC had approved Addendum VI to the Striped Bass management with these coastwise recommendations, that they would like to established by March 2020.

1. Both commercial and recreational quotas should be reduced by 18% of the 2017 numbers.

2. A Recreational slot of 28 - 35"

3.  Non-offset circle hooks must be used for natural bait fishing, live, dead or cut.  The actual implementation date here seemed vague.

All current conservation equivalences are no longer valid, but they can be resubmitted.  States that do not want to enact the above  must submit Conservation Equivalencies proposals that meet the above items. by November 30 for review by ASMFC.

I think that's all the key items.

35 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

In a nutshell, ASMFC had approved Addendum VI to the Striped Bass management with these coastwise recommendations, that they would like to established by March 2020.

1. Both commercial and recreational quotas should be reduced by 18% of the 2017 numbers.

2. A Recreational slot of 28 - 35"

3.  Non-offset circle hooks must be used for natural bait fishing, live, dead or cut.  The actual implementation date here seemed vague.

All current conservation equivalences are no longer valid, but they can be resubmitted.  States that do not want to enact the above  must submit Conservation Equivalencies proposals that meet the above items. by November 30 for review by ASMFC.

I think that's all the key items.

Thank you very much Roccus7.

I missed that.

Good to know.

Respectfully,

JD

6 hours ago, john1234 said:

It’s IMHO better than we had , And although it might not be 100% what we wanted it’s at least more conservation minded than before, Am I wrong?.......

They moved pieces around, nothing really benefits the fish beyond the use of circle hooks which I feel is a positive move pending compliance and enforcement.  Otherwise, the year classes which have been considered a significant source of future successful spawns has now been largely targeted as a result of these new regs.  While large fish have protection, the greater numbers of 28 to 34" fish are now the principal target which will greatly abbreviate the effect these fish would have had on future spawning years.  In the long run large fish will continue to be caught and released and will die off naturally as the 28 to 35" class of fish grow to replace them in fewer and fewer numbers them selves.  there could be fewer fish overall as the current overfishing documented was never given the chance to rebound off the strong year classes left which all points to a crash.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

Conservation equivalency is the most disappointing part. While I would've preferred 1@35", the slot isn't all bad, but it's effectively meaningless if the usual suspects are going to come up with their own numbers effectively bypassing the 18% reduction.

It’s good that the powers in charge have finally acknowledged that there is a problem with striped bass stocks and are trying to make changes. The bad thing is that it’s doubtful that the new regs will help much. There are just too many people fishing compared to back during the last collapse. I assume that we will have these new regs for a couple years and then when they aren’t that successful they will change to something more drastic. 

My question is, for the use of circle hooks, is it only for strippers or every species of fish? I can care less about the size limit regs cuz depending on whether it’s slot or over a certain length I have different methods

4 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Omg how many threads on the same topic can we have.  

Beats the living piss out of another Trump thread, doesn't it?

And in all honesty, is there any more important topic to this site?  I mean, it's in our name for god's sake.

45 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Beats the living piss out of another Trump thread, doesn't it?

And in all honesty, is there any more important topic to this site?  I mean, it's in our name for god's sake.

Bingo 

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

My question is, for the use of circle hooks, is it only for strippers or every species of fish? I can care less about the size limit regs cuz depending on whether it’s slot or over a certain length I have different methods

--Every single time I go down bluefishing in the summer....somehow I manage to catch these dam sharks.  Makes me sick having to reel one of those drag burner browns in.  I was out there throwing chunks at the gators I herd moved through this morning, I ended up catching a few bass on the J hooks I normally dont use for them. Hooked right in the corner of the mouth because I dont dead stick like a new-jack anymore.--

Tell me that wasnt my intent and I'll gladly take the ticket you've written

Back to reality now, The new rule will likely be in effect on the party boats where people knowingly pay to fish on trips that target bass.  Like just about everything else, best of luck enforcing it anywhere for the reasons depicted.

Edited by DeepBlue85