luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - November 2019

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Sand buggy said:

The fish are not here yet..i am not stoping till i have something in the fridge.

Dogfish are the preferred fish for  fish and chips in England...  Just in case you don’t get any keeper stripers.  Make sure you clean them quickly if you give them a try.  I’m not going to lie, they aren’t bad.  The meat isn’t the most firm/flaky, but if looking for meat, they are willing.  

19 hours ago, Sand buggy said:

The fish are not here yet..i am not stoping till i have something in the fridge.

The first push of BIG fish is already showing up at the mouth of the bay, they been passing by.

1 hour ago, Sand buggy said:

Mouth of what bay?

Assuming he meant the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay...isnt that where the stripers congregate this time of year...around the Bay Bridge Tunnel...until they winter in deeper water off the Virginia Capes and the OBX?

I think he means Delaware Bay, from reading the NJ reports.  Most seem to be sticking a bit beyond shore fishing, but would imagine some will make their way into the bay.  If lucky, some will make their way along the beach and inlets.  Would likely help a bit if the beach replenishment would be shelved.  

On 12/1/2019 at 8:18 PM, Porktown said:

Dogfish are the preferred fish for  fish and chips in England...  Just in case you don’t get any keeper stripers.  Make sure you clean them quickly if you give them a try.  I’m not going to lie, they aren’t bad.  The meat isn’t the most firm/flaky, but if looking for meat, they are willing.  

I was under the conception that the only edible sharks were Thresher, Mako and Blacktip.

I too heard of guys eating doggies...idda no man?? People also eat Carp. :eek:

I got turned on to Blue Shark one time and it was disgusting. Tasted like ammonia.

Wonder how many types of different sand sharks there are, here on Delmarva?

Edited by Tranx400

Dogfish, and I would assume other sharks don't have certain organs that other fish have and will excrete fluids through their skin.  If you don't clean right after catch, those fluids will build up and break down into an ammonia smell/taste.  At least that is what the internet told me...  Clean soon after catching, put the meat on ice and then fillet when home.  Take all of the red meat off and soak in water.  Change the water a few times and will clear the meat of most blood/etc.  They say to soak in milk too, but I didn't see the need for that.  The meat is a weird white/pink color and not translucent like most other fish.

I had heard from guys out fishing that skate, dog fish and others are good if prepared correctly.  I was in NJ and caught a few pretty large dog fish, debated to give it a try, but tossed them back.  Which I am glad that I did, since I didn't know how to properly handle.  I did some Googling out of curiosity and found a bunch of info on them.  The next time out, I gave it a shot and wasn't bad at all.  By no means excellent, but worth the effort if you want a fresh fish dinner and not catching what you are targeting.  For anyone thinking about it, I'd research first, so you know how to handle after catch, etc. 

I too have heard about carp and freshwater drum.  I haven't succumb to giving them a try though.  I've seen carp by the hundreds in waste water overflow areas during heavy rains and just wouldn't be able to shake that view.  I resisted channel catfish for years, but decided to give them a shot about 5 years ago.  They are very good, if you catch them from a clean source.  I personally like them more than many fish, but aren't my favorite to target.

I would imagine a bunch of different shark species along Delmarva.  I personally don't target them.  Although this past time out to DE, reading the reports, I kind of figured that dogfish were going to be the likely catch in the surf.  Small chunks of mullet on a hi-lo rig, 2 oz weight, on a lighter rod (if surf isn't rough) had them feeling like more than a wet towel...  Getting them on the pool stick rod, barely felt like anything.