luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - November 2019

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Kayak fished 11/15, caught 8 schoolies to 26" jigging a 4" paddletail plus a few white perch for dinner on a small gotcha jig. Bite was slower than my last trip which I'll attribute to the drop in temperature but there's some fish around.

My buddies and I booked a trip to DE this past weekend a few months in advance.  The nor’easter made the surf unfishable except for Friday.  Which only had dogfish.  Inlet had fish on the wind side, which was fun but nuts.  Waves crashing on the rocks made wearing waders and rain coat a must.  I had a fun hour of a fish on just about every cast.  Rest of day was rough.  4” plastics to  imitate spearing seemed to be best.  

Friday fishing in OC was phenomenal....under size stripers to 24", and big specs right on the beach.  Was able to catch only one decent striper on Saturday, because it was blowing 50 mph.  Had a blast Friday....suffered Saturday.

Specs on bait or plastics?  I was expecting that is what I’d run into with the plastics in DE.  But was all line sides.  Probably similar as you 18”-24”.  Fat healthy looking fish.  Fun on lighter gear.  Had one double on the teaser and back lure.  Had one close to keeper that busted my leader when trying to pull over the rail.  He was in the rocks for a while, but would have been suicidal to go get him with the waves and current.   Heading out in the AM before heading home.  

Specs and stripers were on plastics....they ranged from 14 to 22" with most around 17ish, although I lost one that was at least 24" right in front of me....slippery little sucker went right through my hands.  

16 hours ago, Captain Quint said:

Specs and stripers were on plastics....they ranged from 14 to 22" with most around 17ish, although I lost one that was at least 24" right in front of me....slippery little sucker went right through my hands.  

Inlet or bridge? 

19 hours ago, Captain Quint said:

Your gonna need a bigger boat.....

Im heading to AI next week and am concerned about bait.  Its always challenging this time of year but was hoping some of you might have a few suggestions.  Short of catching it myself it looks like frozen may be the only option.  Bucks is closing in 3 days so anything they might have is not an option.  I've been calling around but the report all seems to be pretty similar.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

5 hours ago, luckyOC said:

lets try not state specific structure... there are limited 'rocks', 'inlets' and 'bridges' in the area....

Really? You can't spot burn in OC.  Just wondering if they were finding the fish back up in the bay around the bridge or closer to the ocean in the inlet. 

18 hours ago, tacomahunter said:

Im heading to AI next week and am concerned about bait.  Its always challenging this time of year but was hoping some of you might have a few suggestions.  Short of catching it myself it looks like frozen may be the only option.  Bucks is closing in 3 days so anything they might have is not an option.  I've been calling around but the report all seems to be pretty similar.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Was at A.I.-VA & MD as well as O.C. inlet Veterans Day weekend and things are definitely winding down for the season. Did find some fresh at Capt Steves in VA but it was definitely bottom of the barrel. Heard they found some fresh Sunday afternoon / evening but we had already moved north and Bucks in MD  had no fresh. And what was interesting was nobody had bloodworms. Did see some kind of baitfish jumping in the surf...couldnt ID them. Having said all this....given the circumstances ...I'd fish frozen ....since I have had decent catches on it in the past. 

Went out front Saturday and fished an incoming tide with plugs and frozen bunker and finger mullet. Skunk-fest. Likely it for me until spring. Time to tear down and oil up.