icarussound

Outback 2019 - cracked hull

44 posts in this topic

the seat on my tarpon100 is more comfortable than any kayak seat ive ever been in.  who the hell ever thought a detachable kayak seat was a good idea anyway?  

I like the detachable seats. You can store them inside out of the weather.

You can transport your kayak with them disconnected. I think they last longer.

As far as comfort goes  a good seat is like a good shoe. One size or style definitely 

will not fit  or satisfy all.  The tarpon seats are very comfortable.  I normally get an after market seat for my kayaks. Stock seats are not normally very comfortable 

for me. I currently have a cloud seat. Also some surf to summit. I have not tried the lawn chair seats yet.

Was looking at purchasing the new outback. It's a very comfortable yak, but that crack there, along with another user posting a video on youtube about the same exact crack is making me stick with my Radar until they either properly reinforce or redesign that seat mount/buttress. Although, I never use the high setting on my seat. Wondering if always keeping it in the high position is the cause of the failure.

21 hours ago, BillZ said:

Very true..... first ting i thought of when i read that is the way people tend to sit down, its normal i guess for the most part but i think everyone is kind of programmed to just kind of drop all their weight into the chair when they sit..... do that with the lawn chair set up & all bets are off....:shrug:

I think it would be logical to say that folks who stand in their yak to fish then sit over & over in a session will tend to rip that deck apart a little faster...

Sure. I don’t stand very much or dump myself back in the seat hard. However. If you’re waist deep in the trough and, waiting for a set of waves to go by and you see your chance, well you launch yourself into the seat and get paddling.  Bang. I’m mostly in the river/ lagoon but if I’m going out in the surf I’m going to jump on the seat like that, making and impact if you will 

10 hours ago, Fishtale7 said:

Wondering if always keeping it in the high position is the cause of the failure.

Sure is, but frankly Hobie must have anticipated that otherwise why have that feature?

That being said I love the seat, it’s comfortable for hours and I spend hours on the yak. I love my outback,  not in a fanboy way, it just works extremely well for me.

Without looking all over the net for other failures, perhaps it really is only a few with thin spots there, and there should be an easy retro fix with some kind of plastic piece installed there to spread out the weight, hell there are many talented guys on this forum that would think of something to keep the yak going until Hobie comes out with a fix, or improved hull.

4 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Without looking all over the net for other failures, perhaps it really is only a few with thin spots there, and there should be an easy retro fix with some kind of plastic piece installed there to spread out the weight, hell there are many talented guys on this forum that would think of something to keep the yak going until Hobie comes out with a fix, or improved hull.

I follow a FB group and have seen this failure many times posted. 

5 hours ago, atv223 said:

I follow a FB group and have seen this failure many times posted. 

And thats what sucked about Facebook. Doesn't come up on google for the world  to see.  Forum participation is down.

3 hours ago, Rick67 said:

Facebook/Drama/Daytime Soaps. F' that.

You guys are a special breed down there. Come to think of it so are we up here.....but not like you guys. :fire: