icarussound

Outback 2019 - cracked hull

44 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2019 at 8:08 PM, icarussound said:

Well my local is pretty decent, and gave me a loaner outback - 2018. Went out this evening about 5 hours, couldn’t not since fishing is just fantastic right now. 

So actually I posted this to warn 2019 and 2020 outback owners about this potential problem. I put in a lot of time and am 100% on the high seat position which puts the legs of the seat on the posts. The crack in the picture is on one side, there is the beginnings of a deformation on the other.  I can easily imagine someone who uses that seat position regularly but not all the time, and who goes out say 6 hours a week instead of 30, might encounter the same problem but long long after the warranty is over. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. 

It sounds like you have an excellent dealer. That’s great he gave you a loaner. I never saw a Hobie crack like that. I’m sure Hobie will do the right thing. There a great company 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hobie has to get past the hull issues thing, this is a recent designed hull bought in March 2019 , 7-8 months ago, used in relatively light condtions by a 180 lb. guy, who puts in an incredible amount of time a week, every week, and has a really bad crack on one side and other is deforming...........still put a 200-220 lb. guy in the same kayak launching in the surf in NE, in typical waves and  sometimes chop and I don't know if the warranty period is going to be long enough, the thing to change that would be a guy in the surf is most likely in the lowest seat postion. Hobie will stand behind their yaks like they always do but every hull failure gets posted somewhere, and it has to hurt the bottom line to have to replace hulls. The 2019 Outback should have been designed not to carry on the hull issue at all costs. Probably time  for Hobie to either extend the warranty or even have a much longer say 10 year hull crack warranty. I don't have a Hobie, but they are great boats and have a very loyal following inspite of the hull issues......Jack 

Edited by Bulldog
spellin of kourse! geeze!

I think there's a bit of a problem, the 2 support buttresses look to have been designed for the chair to rest on top of ... however, my chair's frame is just too short and squeezes inside the buttress (i.e. From the front bar to just inside the buttress leg) ... that's going to put pressure on the buttress potentially resulting in the tear as shown above

Posted (edited) · Report post

Keep in  mind I am not an engineer. I do not work for Hobie. My guess is that this

seat may put some pressure on the kayak floor where it comes in contact with floor  It does not appear to be distributing the weight of the person sitting on it very well?

Edited by dbjpb

On 11/1/2019 at 9:57 PM, The Riddler said:

Hopefully you can get a solid from the dealer if local , do the warranty claim and get the next hull and go.  If not, jam some closed cell up there, weld it and get back out there while the claim is processed. 

This ain't a bad option if time is of the essence...it might just get you by in a pinch.  

Plastic welding isn't rocket science and I say that coming from someone who's done it.   Do some quick research and get 'er done!  Good luck

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

That was easy.....

677682F7-F70C-4B8E-8967-5D1D596F14C6.jpeg

They can do much better than this old seat without having to make the 4 post lawn chair seat...

Image result for wilderness systems phase 3 sot seat"

Image result for wilderness systems phase 3 sot seat"

Native-Wedge-Seat-Versa-Board2-1.jpg

Image result for ocean kayak seat"

They want that cash. Helps offset the cost of sending out the new hull when people crack It from the design /location of the new seat. It appears you lose structural integrity or from thin spots during molding.  Its ok the fix with extra plastic or foam will just be passed on to the consumer.  They win all the time. 

The best I can do is buy a Hobie and then sell the seat as soon as I can. I lose too.  Hobie sucks in that regard. They should have given users the choice of a seat rather than make it harder. Until a better product comes along I have to play this silly game too.

67D834DE-C4FF-4BE6-95D7-88F2586D3820.png

3D5787B4-B3DC-466D-B48D-CC4F82682365.png

Maybe putting a lawn chair with 4 point loads but not designing the hull for it wasn’t the best idea. The rear chair legs, which probably get the bulk of the weight, may each get 50-70 lbs of direct force transferred into what is essentially a sheet of plastic. Add other sideways motion into the mix and there it is. Stop the lawn chair madness. It’s a kayak.

1 hour ago, tj7501 said:

Maybe putting a lawn chair with 4 point loads but not designing the hull for it wasn’t the best idea. The rear chair legs, which probably get the bulk of the weight, may each get 50-70 lbs of direct force transferred into what is essentially a sheet of plastic. Add other sideways motion into the mix and there it is. Stop the lawn chair madness. It’s a kayak.

That's the problem, kayaks are evolving slowly into bass boats. The manufacturers of kayaks are losing sight of what a kayak is supposed to be. A kayak is supposed to be light weight, easy to lift, carry and transport. The seat should be low. Sitting low makes the kayak more stable. This is basic physics. As kayaks become more like boats, they lose their practicality and purpose. Many of the kayaks I see today provide no advantage over a boat. If you want to fish out of something that has an elevated seat, trolling motor, power pole, full electronics, live well, etc... just go buy a bass boat and stop the madness already!

11 hours ago, tj7501 said:

Very true..... first ting i thought of when i read that is the way people tend to sit down, its normal i guess for the most part but i think everyone is kind of programmed to just kind of drop all their weight into the chair when they sit..... do that with the lawn chair set up & all bets are off....:shrug:

I think it would be logical to say that folks who stand in their yak to fish then sit over & over in a session will tend to rip that deck apart a little faster...

3 mins ago, BillZ said:

Very true..... first ting i thought of when i read that is the way people tend to sit down, its normal i guess for the most part but i think everyone is kind of programmed to just kind of drop all their weight into the chair when they sit..... do that with the lawn chair set up & all bets are off....:shrug:

I think it would be logical to say that folks who stand in their yak to fish then sit over & over in a session will tend to rip that deck apart a little faster...

I used to just short of jump into my outback seat when launching from the width of the hull.