icarussound

Outback 2019 - cracked hull

44 posts in this topic

Good fishing this week, but the kayak was handling poorly, checked and found tons of water in the hull. Turns out the hull is cracked right at one ledge that holds the seat. I put in a lot of time on this yak, 30 hours minimum per week. Got the 2019 in March. I’m wondering about those of you who go out a couple of times a month, could take several years for this defect to appear. 

Bummer is that it’s the mullet run, lots of bait in the water and I know it’s going to take for ever to get back in the water. 

76F546F7-D818-4D0D-B0D0-70E0FA2623B0.jpeg

BCE45061-2C0A-46C2-8E1E-3F338DBB860D.jpeg

33 mins ago, icarussound said:

Damn, that's not the first seat post crack I've seen on 2019s...maybe your dealer has a loaner while you wait for the replacement hull? 

I would be extremely insistent to both your dealer and Hobie HQ to accommodate you during the mullet run!

Wow sorry to hear about that. That is one big crack. Pretty sure your kayak should be under warranty.  Did you find any other cracks near the drive well or scupper holes? Normally a kayak would not take on too much water from a crack by the seat on top of the kayak unless there was very big  seas breaking over the top of the kayak. I have heard of some hobie dealers expediting Warranty claims and even providing a loaner kayaks while the return process was being worked out. Good luck  with your return.

I miss Barrel. Hearing on how you are one in a million to get that crack..then Mmiller would crash the thread and tell ya Hobie pushes the envelope.  :laugh:

4 hours ago, icarussound said:

Good fishing this week, but the kayak was handling poorly, checked and found tons of water in the hull. Turns out the hull is cracked right at one ledge that holds the seat. I put in a lot of time on this yak, 30 hours minimum per week. Got the 2019 in March. I’m wondering about those of you who go out a couple of times a month, could take several years for this defect to appear. 

Bummer is that it’s the mullet run, lots of bait in the water and I know it’s going to take for ever to get back in the water. 

76F546F7-D818-4D0D-B0D0-70E0FA2623B0.jpeg

Hopefully you can get a solid from the dealer if local , do the warranty claim and get the next hull and go.  If not, jam some closed cell up there, weld it and get back out there while the claim is processed. 

I’m taking it in this morning, hopefully I can get a loaner. I think this is an open and shut case for warranty replacement. The crack is right where the seat rests, I’m 6’ 180 lbs, not even close to maximum capacity. My worry is that when I do get a replacement the sane thing will happen eventually. 

I estimated my total hours in the outback since I got the 2019. A little over 500. Once I get a replacement I’ll keep an accurate count of hours and miles. 90% is on the river/lagoon under fairly easy conditions. The yak is stored in a shed on foam supports, rinsed every trip, cleaned once or twice a month, the drive (which is fine) is lubed about once a month. FWIW

Might want to try putting some foam blocks under that area to transfer and distribute some load. If you have a “5 below” store around you, they have some heavy foam rollers much denser then pool noodles that could do the trick. 

Well my local is pretty decent, and gave me a loaner outback - 2018. Went out this evening about 5 hours, couldn’t not since fishing is just fantastic right now. 

So actually I posted this to warn 2019 and 2020 outback owners about this potential problem. I put in a lot of time and am 100% on the high seat position which puts the legs of the seat on the posts. The crack in the picture is on one side, there is the beginnings of a deformation on the other.  I can easily imagine someone who uses that seat position regularly but not all the time, and who goes out say 6 hours a week instead of 30, might encounter the same problem but long long after the warranty is over. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. 

It should be an easy fix to reinforce the hull with some type of foam. Curious to see what the official response from hobie will be. Maybe a seat redesign too to spread out the weight from the seat on the hull.

I don't care how many hours per week that kayak is used, a crack like that should never happen under normal use. Something very wrong with the design or manufacturing process. Hobie needs to really make some changes. No excuse for this. Unacceptable.

1 hour ago, icarussound said:

I put in a lot of time and am 100% on the high seat position which puts the legs of the seat on the posts. 

Do you meant that you’re using the kickstand legs on the rear of the seat?  That would seem to concentrate your weight more on those two spots than if you were using the other position, but obviously still should be covered by warranty since Hobie touts that as a feature. 

7 hours ago, fishinbill said:

Do you meant that you’re using the kickstand legs on the rear of the seat?  That would seem to concentrate your weight more on those two spots than if you were using the other position, but obviously still should be covered by warranty since Hobie touts that as a feature. 

Yes. And yes. Perhaps on the replacement hull I’ll take that into consideration - shouldn’t have to of course. Or I’ll do the same thing and when it happens again Hobie might get a clue.

I keep suggesting an alloy or carbon fiber frame of sorts to accommodate seating and drive well areas to

rotomold around, if at all possible. Or- go with a Wildy Phase 3 style seat or OK Vantage seat and ditch the metal chair seat. Too much focused pressure as fishinbill commented...