CS

The 2019 Ethical Angler

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

On another thread earlier today, there was a discussion about the ethics of releasing a gaffed fish. Got me thinking about fishing ethics in general. So I quickly wrote up the following list. I try to keep to all of these, but I am far from perfect. Earlier this year, for example, I threw out some freezer-burned sea bass fillets from a year ago. Total waste. Anyway, thought I’d share these and would be curious to see if anyone has any additions/amendments/etc.

The 2019 Ethical Angler

1.)    I will always be properly licensed to fish.

2.)    I will know, understand, and follow all fish and game laws.

3.)    If I keep a fish, I will make sure it is legal: in size, season, limit, and location (i.e. within 3-mile limit for striped bass).

4.)    If I keep a fish, I will humanely kill it as quickly as possible (bleeding by cutting the gills is a great way to do this, and it preserves favor).

5.)    If I keep a fish, I will be prepared with a cooler, fish bag, etc.  I will not let a fish spoil only to be discarded later.

6.)    If I keep a fish, I will try to fully utilize all edible parts of the fish (I have seen anglers strip shad of their roe and leave the rest on the bank – not cool).

7.)    I will only keep fish I can readily use, and never fill the freezer only to toss out freezer-burned fish a year later.

8.)    If I release a fish, or if I am planning on releasing my fish, I will de-barb hooks, minimize the amount of hooks on my lure, or use circle hooks.

9.)    If I release a fish, I will have the proper equipment to do so: lip-grabber, pliers, rubber mesh net – anything to minimize the fish’s time out of the water. I will have all of these tools readily available and not buried in my surf bag or deep in the hold of my boat.

10.) If I release a fish, I will always try to keep the fish in the water or on wet sand at all times, and release it as quickly as possible. I will not bring a fish in the boat that I intend to release unless I absolutely have to. I will never kick a fish back in the water or otherwise unnecessarily harm it.

11.) If I release a fish, and I’m going to photograph it, I will have my camera readily available and not buried in my surf bag or deep in the hold of my boat.

12.) If I release a fish, I will never hold it by the gills. If I am lipping a large fish, I will try to hold it sideways by supporting its body with my other (wet) hand.

13.) If I release a fish, I will never drag it over dry sand, dirt, rocks, etc. unless it is the only way to safely land it.  I may consider changing spots if that is the only way to safely land a fish I intend on releasing.

14.) I understand that just because it’s a “keeper” does not mean I have to keep it. I will consider releasing any keeper-sized fish for species currently considered overfished.

15.) I will always have local fish and game enforcement on my phone.

16.) If I see fish and game laws violated, I will consider informing (i.e. educating) violator as politely as possible about laws. I will not threaten or use foul language, or otherwise escalate the situation. I will call local fish and game about any violations I see.

17.) I will stay active on conservation issues and actively participate to preserve the resource. I will vote for true conservationists. I will fight against polluters or those who wish to harm the resource. I will learn and appreciate other wildlife so I better understand how the natural world works.

18.) I will never wantonly kill native “trash fish” even if I don’t like them.

19.) I will take kids fishing and otherwise pass my knowledge along to others. I will call out unethical behavior, but always in a respectful fashion. I will lead by example.

20.) I will not blow-up fishing spots on the internet or social media.

21.) I will never leave crap on the beach (or crap on the beach).

22.) I will always try to have fun whenever I go fishing and learn new things.

###

8 mins ago, yemista said:

I have an issue with number 21. What if there is no bathroom for a while? I think it's fine if you bury it. 

If you gotta go, ya gotta go.

1 hour ago, CS said:

On another thread earlier today, there was a discussion about the ethics of releasing a gaffed fish. Got me thinking about fishing ethics in general. So I quickly wrote up the following list. I try to keep to all of these, but I am far from perfect. Earlier this year, for example, I threw out some freezer-burned sea bass fillets from a year ago. Total waste. Anyway, thought I’d share these and would be curious to see if anyone has any additions/amendments/etc.

The 2019 Ethical Angler

1.)    I will always be properly licensed to fish.

2.)    I will know, understand, and follow all fish and game laws.

3.)    If I keep a fish, I will make sure it is legal: in size, season, limit, and location (i.e. within 3-mile limit for striped bass).

4.)    If I keep a fish, I will humanely kill it as quickly as possible (bleeding by cutting the gills is a great way to do this, and it preserves favor).

5.)    If I keep a fish, I will be prepared with a cooler, fish bag, etc.  I will not let a fish spoil only to be discarded later.

6.)    If I keep a fish, I will try to fully utilize all edible parts of the fish (I have seen anglers strip shad of their roe and leave the rest on the bank – not cool).

7.)    I will only keep fish I can readily use, and never fill the freezer only to toss out freezer-burned fish a year later.

8.)    If I release a fish, or if I am planning on releasing my fish, I will de-barb hooks, minimize the amount of hooks on my lure, or use circle hooks.

9.)    If I release a fish, I will have the proper equipment to do so: lip-grabber, pliers, rubber mesh net – anything to minimize the fish’s time out of the water. I will have all of these tools readily available and not buried in my surf bag or deep in the hold of my boat.

10.) If I release a fish, I will always try to keep the fish in the water or on wet sand at all times, and release it as quickly as possible. I will not bring a fish in the boat that I intend to release unless I absolutely have to. I will never kick a fish back in the water or otherwise unnecessarily harm it.

11.) If I release a fish, and I’m going to photograph it, I will have my camera readily available and not buried in my surf bag or deep in the hold of my boat.

12.) If I release a fish, I will never hold it by the gills. If I am lipping a large fish, I will try to hold it sideways by supporting its body with my other (wet) hand.

13.) If I release a fish, I will never drag it over dry sand, dirt, rocks, etc. unless it is the only way to safely land it.  I may consider changing spots if that is the only way to safely land a fish I intend on releasing.

14.) I understand that just because it’s a “keeper” does not mean I have to keep it. I will consider releasing any keeper-sized fish for species currently considered overfished.

15.) I will always have local fish and game enforcement on my phone.

16.) If I see fish and game laws violated, I will consider informing (i.e. educating) violator as politely as possible about laws. I will not threaten or use foul language, or otherwise escalate the situation. I will call local fish and game about any violations I see.

17.) I will stay active on conservation issues and actively participate to preserve the resource. I will vote for true conservationists. I will fight against polluters or those who wish to harm the resource. I will learn and appreciate other wildlife so I better understand how the natural world works.

18.) I will never wantonly kill native “trash fish” even if I don’t like them.

19.) I will take kids fishing and otherwise pass my knowledge along to others. I will call out unethical behavior, but always in a respectful fashion. I will lead by example.

20.) I will not blow-up fishing spots on the internet or social media.

21.) I will never leave crap on the beach (or crap on the beach).

22.) I will always try to have fun whenever I go fishing and learn new things.

###

I tried going barbless but I just don’t have the skill yet to land fish. That being said I do only use single hooks and I do hope to go barbless soon.

12 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Are you talkin' Ebonics?

What you talkin' bout Willis!   

Say what?   Speak Spanglish, por favor.   :laugh:

My attempt at a jersey accent through text lmao

70,000 seals weighing up to 600 lbs dumping about 30 lbs of waste a day every day 375 days a year while consuming all edible life. And poachers. The poaching is so bad that it  alone is decimating the inshore population or tribes as some say. Rec is not poaching. Poaching is com and immigrants. I’ve seen it for many years but now the immigrants are worse than ever.  

I assume by crap, he meant litter lol. I like this list, if you want to go above and beyond you can add "Leave the beach in a better condition than you found it in." Good day, bad day, whatever, I always pick up some junk on the way back to the car and dispose if it properly.