sardean

Large floating sand eel pattern

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I was out on a boat last week and big bass were crushing big sand eels on the surface. I threw a needlefish plug and it worked great. Didn’t have any long slender flies to match the hatch. I wish I did. Does anyone have or know a large floating sand eel pattern?  

I would get some of those premade foam bullet shaped bodies. forget the manufacturer. you can paint with some of the Walmart acrylic .99 cent paints, markers or use glitter with an epoxy coat. I just spin some deer hair to create the body. add some k flash and olive saddle or bucktail. Have fun with it and make it your own post some picture when done

Edited by onthefly

a second option I use on smaller 3 or 4 inch sand eels is to use sheet foam like used on gurgler and make eel shaper crease type fly build the body up with a thin strip of foam and whatever your tail material is make a small flat sided body crazy glued. use one of those big paper clamp things to hold it tight while glue drying then use scissors to round out the belly and shape head. paint and color as needed with a thin coat of epoxy it will still float if you use a foam strip under head

4 hours ago, sardean said:

I was out on a boat last week and big bass were crushing big sand eels on the surface. I threw a needlefish plug and it worked great. Didn’t have any long slender flies to match the hatch. I wish I did. Does anyone have or know a large floating sand eel pattern?  

Check out this SOL  thread.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/725967-coops-floating-sand-eel/

As Onthefly suggests, foam is a good idea. So why not 20191103_092914.jpg.6d5b3927be582f0f1b129cccd610557d.jpgtry a sand eel crease like this one and, for more on this, go to CaryGreene's great "Crease Fly Thread" of March 3, 2016 (on this Forum). 

I started with an eel punt. I know it’s not floating but fished on floating line it should push some water. Also I plan to employee the banger system. Putting the popper head or reversed cone head ahead of a large sand eel pattern. Have not had a chance to get back out to these fish. This week looks good. Let’s hope they are still around. 

3D1B8915-61E2-4A79-85A9-6D5667EB27DF.jpeg

Not sure if this will help, but I use these to imitate out Pacific Sandlance, which look basically the same as your sand eels.

These are about 4” long. I’ve had good success since a local angler turned me on to this pattern.

These are tied with round foam and micro tubing but could easily made larger or longer with bigger foam and tubes.

SF

7DB064B3-CC7B-4CD7-BAE2-EE7C7FCE3BB4.jpeg

I would fish a Tabory Snake Fly.  The deer hair head keeps it suspended in the water column, it pushes a ton of water and you can tie them snakey and as long as you want!