zybathegeek

Where to buy a Thanksgiving Turkeys in Massachusetts

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

This one should be easy, usually buy an excellent fresh turkey from German butchers Schaller + Weber in New York City, but we've moved to Kingston/Plymouth and now need a supplier.

A local chef friend recommends getting a fresh bird from a local supermarket, but does anyone else have a good experience with suppliers here?

Thanks in advance.

I don;t know of any place specific in the Plymouth area, but if you are looking for a locally farmed raised turkey (of course at a price that pushes $6-$9/lb), a lot of farmstand type places are now taking orders.

If you go here:

https://guide.farmfreshri.org/

it is an interactive site that you can choose the area and the product you want and it will give you a bunch of places to check out.

I know by me in Foxboro, Ward's Berry Farm in Sharon ($5.29/lb) is currently taking orders as is Fresh Catch in Mansfield.

If you don't mind a little road trip; Antonelli Poultry in Providence, RI.  You pick out the bird and they slaughter it right in front of you.  Doesn't get any fresher than that!

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

1 min ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Antonelli Poultry in Providence, RI.  You pick out the bird and they slaughter it right in front of you.  Doesn't get any fresher than that!

Thanks, got friends down that way, time for a visit in a couple of weeks. 

Sounds better than picking pellets out of the scrawny things strutting around my local neighborhood. :)

4 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

If you don't mind a little road trip; Antonelli Poultry in Providence, RI.  You pick out the bird and they slaughter it right in front of you.  Doesn't get any fresher than that!

Been there, and while for chicken or duck or rabbit it is okay, if I was gonna spend the extra on a turkey I would choose another place.

I miss Owen's Poultry Farm in Needham, used to go there year round for chicken and duck, and this time of year they would be buzzing with turkey orders, the line would be out the door on the pickup days Thanksgiving week.

Alas, the store and farm is now the site of the new Needham High school..... :(

Frankly, when it comes to turkey, I buy the store specials.....for turkey I am not that fussy, would rather spend the $$ on other types of higher quality meats. 

zyba market basket supermarket has fresh non frozen turkeys usually a week or so before thanksgiving....good price and excellent quality for the money I would go that route....driving to RI for turkey is crazy....imho.

One thing with supermarket turkeys - As much as they are sometimes sold "fresh", very few of them have not been frozen and thawed. There is no way that that many turkeys can be killed, processed and shipped in such a short time to have them be sold as fresh. This is why the other "outlets" take orders for them starting in October so that the farms can anticipate the demand and process just a short time before. Even Owens that years ago raised them right where you bought them would take orders so that they could anticipate the demand come the week of the holiday.

Hear you on the frozen and thaw Steve, my local Market Basket is not only very large, its turnover is equally large as well, Place is packed most days, so I don't think they could thaw them fast enough, particularly in Thanksgiving week. After the smaller supermarkets of NYC, the sizes of these places are quite an eye opener.

There's lots of good advice here, many thanks to everyone.

17 hours ago, zybathegeek said:

Hear you on the frozen and thaw Steve, my local Market Basket is not only very large, its turnover is equally large as well, Place is packed most days,

I was in the one in West Bridgewater yesterday, and they already had the turkey's on sale. I only noticed the frozen ones, but am sure they had fresh as well. They had a limit of two per customer (which I always thought was silly anyway, so one walks out and walks back in and gets more.....)

I found a pretty good one for store bought.  Trader Joe's Kosher turkey.

What makes a turkey Kosher?  I guess it was raised in Crown Heights, Who knows.

Tasty, fresh and not pre brined.