Daylight

Clean water on the beach

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Daylight said:

Before you head out what would you look for in weather/tide reports to know if the water is clean or stained?

I'd care more about tide, wind, and stuff like that over water clarity. Never had a bad fish day or night cuz of clarity. Just change up your approach, colors, etc.

I personally think brown water is terrible..... fish like ro see what is going on like us.... I've never done well when the water is like chocolate milk 

Edited by Fishy4335

10 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

I personally think brown water is terrible..... fish like ro see what is going on like us.... I've never done well when the water is like chocolate milk 

Muddy at IBSP and remembering being told a long time ago the fish don’t like the grains in their gills.

Edited by Daylight
Grammar

6 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

I stand corrected, brown tide is terrible.

23 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I'd care more about tide, wind, and stuff like that over water clarity. Never had a bad fish day or night cuz of clarity. Just change up your approach, colors, etc.

...but that is what I am asking, any clues to water clarity in weather/tide times reports?

Brown tide are usually associated with higher temperatures and mid summer conditions and effect fish presence due to oxygen levels rather than water clarity its self.  Regarding the o.p question though, I would consider certain sustained west winds to contribute heavily to stained water.  Hard north winds also dump sand into the water, coupled with the upwelling generated by hard northerlys, heavily stained water often results.   None of this has an immediate effect on bass feeding within it, bunker in particular are drawn to said conditions; if the bait is present so to will the bass.

Edited by DeepBlue85

13 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Brown tide are usually associated with higher temperatures and mid summer conditions and effect fish presence due to oxygen levels rather than water clarity its self.  Regarding the o.p question though, I would consider certain sustained west winds to contribute heavily to stained water.  Hard north winds also dump sand into the water, coupled with the upwelling generated by hard northerlys, heavily stained water often results.   None of this has an immediate effect on bass feeding within it, bunker in particular are drawn to said conditions; if the bait is present so to will the bass.

What a great answer, thanks.

14 mins ago, Daylight said:

...but that is what I am asking, any clues to water clarity in weather/tide times reports?

nope,not at all.

you have to do some leg work to see it for yourself.

I learned that a long time ago

when it was raining and a friend would say tomorrow is gonna suck because the water will be dirty.

I learned that depends on the river and the local topography.

some rivers will get muddy with low rain and some will still be mostly clean with a solid rain.

now I know how they will be before I go.

thank goodness I have learned and retained so much or else I would be like a newbie.

experience matters!

HH

14 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

nope,not at all.

you have to do some leg work to see it for yourself.

I learned that a long time ago

when it was raining and a friend would say tomorrow is gonna suck because the water will be dirty.

I learned that depends on the river and the local topography.

some rivers will get muddy with low rain and some will still be mostly clean with a solid rain.

now I know how they will be before I go.

thank goodness I have learned and retained so much or else I would be like a newbie.

experience matters!

HH

Agreed. One particular spot I frequent, the water is always crystal clear during rain, and pretty green otherwise. 

Best is to just get out and look.

23 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Agreed. One particular spot I frequent, the water is always crystal clear during rain, and pretty green otherwise. 

Best is to just get out and look.

oh goodness yes.

would you believe the guy standing there with his rig in his hand and you walk up and ask if anything is doing and he says nothing at all?

fish are under the water not always on the surface.

I never go look and not fish.

HH

1 hour ago, Daylight said:

On the South Shore of Long Island if you have a strong Southwind followed quickly by a strong North Wind then the waves will rise higher and slam down on the sand really hard causing it to kick up create Brown tide..... if you're fishing in the inside of an inlet then it shouldn't matter it shouldn't matter at all!!!....

Edited by Fishy4335