Thumb-Burner

Need freshwater spinning reel recommendation for under 100 bucks

23 posts in this topic

Looking to upgrade my 20 year old freshwater spinning reels and there are too many options to consider.  Looking for something for spotted bass and largemouth.  Want good drag (i fish light line), fairly light, braid friendly and durable.

under 100 bucks is good..  75 is better and 50 is not going to make me cry...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can't go wrong with a Penn fierce 1000; can be had for $60 washingtons.  I upgraded the felt washers to carbon for an xtra $10 bucks.

I use it for trout, LMBs, schoolies & snappers.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Any reel from a known company will be fine in any price point you choose will get the job done, a sub par product can kill a company, especially in your price range where most purchases are made.

1994 is when braid came out, everyone has it figured out by now.

Edited by spoonplugger1

shimano sahara $80.   I have a fleet of 2500's.  A 1000 series will have to wait until christmas for me....

Shimano sedona is $70.  That one is real good too.  My local tackle shop thinks the sedona is about the same, but $10 cheaper.  One less bearing.......  I bought one for the youngest kid, he is happy with his 2500 sedona.  Used it a bit, can't really feel a difference.

All of them have trilene 8lb on them.   Line lay is great too.  I set the drag at 3/4 of a gallon of water, about 6lb.  Pretty smooth to me.

Daiwa BG would made a good freshwater one too.

Penn Fierce II are going around here for 30% off right now due to the new Fierce III hitting the market.  Get a good grade of SW reel and use it for FW for a long time.  OH

I'd look at the daiwa fuego.. I have several for FW purposes and have been very happy w them.. no issues at all ..

Can be purchased for about $75/80..

2 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I'd look at the daiwa fuego.. I have several for FW purposes and have been very happy w them.. no issues at all ..

By far the best choice at that price point. 

20 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Are you referring to the new Fuego LT series? 

1 min ago, RI: best part of CT said:

Are you referring to the new Fuego LT series? 

Yup. Fuego lt spinning reels... for FW use they are really great.  I have several in different sizes...

mitchell 300 37$ at walmart....no freshwater fish other then a giant muskie will defeat the reel for the money....agree on the shimano's above if your willing to spend more....for freshwater i don't see the point.....good luck.

I have a magnesium 3000 Fuego, 13 years old and counting, great reel line. It's lived on a steady diet of steelhead at home and rainbows to 30 + inches in Alaska.

Edited by spoonplugger1

Like many others have said, you can't go wrong with Shimano, Penn or Daiwa 2500 size reel. Specifically, the Shimano Sahara/Nasci, Daiwa BG/Fuego are reels I've had experience with paired with 10lb braid. All have good drag systems and will last if you take care of them. Go to your local shop, see how they feel and pick the one you like best. Black Friday sales are coming up shortly so these should all be on sale anywhere from 15-25% off. 

Edited by mvarhol