_Doug_

November 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

450 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, codyk35 said:

dont think they were sitting long if at all. did get one that was all tangled up though so maybe thrashing about. hows that 10' suzuki? i just ordered one and i cant wait to check it out on 1oz n under.

I've caught hundreds and hundreds of dogfish and never had one cut my line. Who knows though, anything is possible I guess. I love my Suzuki, it's my go to rod for the bay and tossing lighter stuff out front. I love how light and comfortable it is to fish with. Last week I used my 10' st croix avid for the first time in about a year, maybe more, and I thought to myself Damn this thing is heavy. Haha.

2 hours ago, wellman324 said:

As of last week, they were pumping sand from the rips outside TI with the tube running the sand to fill in the southern side of that Jetty.  

When they did it back in spring of 2015, they buried the beach so bad that the sand was the same level as the jetty. 

27 mins ago, Potato Caboose said:

Jonas my ass. That naturally erodes there and all time with moderate nor’easters. Built millions dollar wall to protect dozen inlet front homes facing northeast. Now they are constantly repairing TI bridge probably result of energy from tides increased from rock walls.

That bridge was falling apart and they were putting band aids on it for years. They finally realized they had to replace the wood pilings underneath of it. I used to fish the Avalon side of the bridge more 10+ years ago before they re-did the rocks around it. There was a nice hole there but that's gone. The Sea Isle side has been really screwy for a while. 

15 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

When they did it back in spring of 2015, they buried the beach so bad that the sand was the same level as the jetty. 

That bridge was falling apart and they were putting band aids on it for years. They finally realized they had to replace the wood pilings underneath of it. I used to fish the Avalon side of the bridge more 10+ years ago before they re-did the rocks around it. There was a nice hole there but that's gone. The Sea Isle side has been really screwy for a while. 

Yes about 20 yrs ago there was a beach near bridge on Avalon side every spring good weakfishing for 3 weals. Agree bridge bad but foundation was found to be bad.  Engineers frown on rock rip rap and gab ion walls because it increase water velocity energy and affects beach shoreline down stream. 

Wow! I hope you boys were able to cash in on the action from NoMoCo through MoCo this afternoon. I had a little bit to play around while waiting for my daughter from school. Out front MoCo, Steady NW wind, incoming tide and water cleared up nicely from this AM. I looked north and saw a huge cloud of birds in the distance heading south. The fishing gods had other plans for me. On my last cast before going to the bus stop I snagged my jig. Popped off and no worries because I had the pre tied leaders. Came back south after getting my daughter and was right there on em’. Spread out splashes and swirls. Birds everywhere. Grabbed my bag to get the pre tied leaders and nada. Forgot em at home. Quickly tied an Ava to the braid and got on the beach. Few guys hooked up and I caught another sea gull...end of story. I think I got the KK curse...the birds and school continued on pretty quickly. But all in all nice to see and hopefully a good sign for the rest of the season. Spoke briefly to a guy and he got 2 on SPs and nothing on metal jigs. 

Edited by DeeMonee

A day of running into people from the site along with many others trying to be where the fish pushed in for the one minute they did . Finally found them a little south and it was a great bite . No big fish but they had peanuts pushed into the rocks and it was a fish every cast . Top water and rubber . When the water receded  all you  saw was bass tails sticking out of the rocks trying to get at the peanuts .,lol . Left them biting at dark . I had just taken off my waders and caught a wave trying to release a fish . Wet, cold but happy to finally bend a rod today. ...Thanks Chris !!! 

Wow, huge disappointment today. Out front in OC and water was not good. Lots of those brown spots which I'm not sure what that means??? Went out back and it was slightly clearer but kept getting fouled up in seaweed, which had some Asian crabs or something heated up in them. "Threw the bait bucket" at em and not a single bend. A long time to be out in 30 degree wind chills for nothing!!! Next week though is the week! I'm thinking 25 mph West winds aren't so good for stripers.

MoCo 4:30 PM to 10:00 PM  Man the wind was howling tonight.  It was blowing 20 to 30 out of the North West and It was cold,  but the water was nice and clean.   I saw some swirls in the water and started casting towards them but they weren't interested in what I was serving.  There were 2 other guys fishing and they started catching fish, but I wasn't getting any bites.    One of the guys snagged my line and he was fishing a bomber with all three trebles.   My braid was all tangled up in the split rings and hooks so I just had to cut and tie on again. Lost a good 30 or more yards of braid there...   My hands were so cold that I couldn't tie a good knot and lost my hydro minnow a few cast later.   

I tied on another leader and put on my burple Sp Minnow.   After a while I finally got a dink Striper the SP, but I was not getting anywhere near the number of bites as the others around me.    So I put on a school bus bomber and bam.  That was what they wanted....    I ended up landing 6 Stripers, lost 3  and had a few missed strikes.   All of the fish were shorts and I didn't see any keepers caught.   The closest that I got was a 26 inch Striper,  Most were around 22 to 24 inches.  One was about 14 inches.    

On another note, I have to be more careful when I put my rod down to unhook fish.   I accidentally stepped on my rod tip.    It looked okay but a little while later while I was reeling in my lure I noticed that the top 6 inches of my rod tip was just hanging down at about a 90 degree angle.     :banghd:

Edited by UncleJohn

OC outfront midnight-9am. Was beyond frigid so only had bunker out for little overnight but nothing. Got a fat 27" on a teaser on a ava teaser rig after sunrise then nada. Had a front row seat to a boat parade. Had to have been at least 500.

Poor fishing continued this morning for me out front moco. It was very cold. Managed one rat that hit the teaser on a 2 oz ava. Teaser was an olive & green fly I purchased last Feb. from a seller in upstate NY. Looks like temps will rebound slightly as we head toward the start of the new week and the holiday. I still have faith that the surf will produce some decent fish. November is ### or get off the pot time

9 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

MoCo 4:30 PM to 10:00 PM  Man the wind was howling tonight.  It was blowing 20 to 30 out of the North West and It was cold,  but the water was nice and clean.   I saw some swirls in the water and started casting towards them but they weren't interested in what I was serving.  There were 2 other guys fishing and they started catching fish, but I wasn't getting any bites.    One of the guys snagged my line and he was fishing a bomber with all three trebles.   My braid was all tangled up in the split rings and hooks so I just had to cut and tie on again. Lost a good 30 or more yards of braid there...   My hands were so cold that I couldn't tie a good knot and lost my hydro minnow a few cast later.   

I tied on another leader and put on my burple Sp Minnow.   After a while I finally got a dink Striper the SP, but I was not getting anywhere near the number of bites as the others around me.    So I put on a school bus bomber and bam.  That was what they wanted....    I ended up landing 6 Stripers, lost 3  and had a few missed strikes.   All of the fish were shorts and I didn't see any keepers caught.   The closest that I got was a 26 inch Striper,  Most were around 22 to 24 inches.  One was about 14 inches.    

On another note, I have to be more careful when I put my rod down to unhook fish.   I accidentally stepped on my rod tip.    It looked okay but a little while later while I was reeling in my lure I noticed that the top 6 inches of my rod tip was just hanging down at about a 90 degree angle.     :banghd:

This was the pattern I observed the last two falls per my log books. The dinks and shorts are combing the coast in schools but the fatties are migrating down the coast off in boat territory. I'm not sure if they are resident fish (juveniles) that are just on the feed with the schools of sandeels and are just a coincidence to the fall run of big bass slightly off shore.