Little

BBQ Rubs, got any good ones?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I cleaned out the spice drawer.

Ill always have Obie Q's Sweet n Heat, and Williams RibTickler.  Great stuff.

But the rest I had accumulated were Meehh.  Pellet Envy brand  meehh.  Smokin Guns brand meehhh.

What you digging?  Nothing thats 3/4ths paprika and salt and sugar.

Are you talking smoking or grilling? For smoking I use this on chicken:

1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup Italian seasoning
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp ground mustard
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp salt

44 mins ago, gellfex said:

Are you talking smoking or grilling? For smoking I use this on chicken:

1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup Italian seasoning
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp ground mustard
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp salt

Looks good.

I stopped making rubs a while ago.  I never really got anything better than some stuff I have bought-not that there are a lot of crummy rubs out there, most are.  But some are badass.

While I was cleaning out the rubs, I found some old spices.  Not sure to exact dates, but all the Penzeys Spice jars were over two years.  I went all manic and just started tossing stuff.

My new spice guys.  The Spice House, Chicago.

1.  Very usable website

2. They have an option for a "flatpack". Since I have one of those oddball spice drawers, I bought some jars that actually fit in there and filled them and labeled (more manic, im an Avery label nut).  Free shipping

3. The Owner of Penzeys has lost his mind and sends his customers hardcore political rants, and harasses conservative employees.

I recommend the process, it was very satisfying.  I got like a dozen new ones, and when I was done I  found a couple I missed, just ordered them

59547537152__A1796601-C1B6-483B-99DE-CC30E2C4A10B.JPG.6358ddd038c14a45c7d3c2ed0bebc5e3.JPG

Bought a bunch of the Penzeys Spices a couple of years ago. Seemed a bit pricey for what you got though not outrageously priced. Just thought McCormicks were better. After I used them, I confirmed what I suspected. Not worth the extra few pennies. Flavor was no big deal. And the McCormick gourmet series was better though again pricey..

I know I'm going to get s**t for this but...last fathers day as a joke my son bought me a bunch of different spices by Charlie Moore, you know, "The Mad Fisherman". Who actually kinda sucks at fishing.

I hate to admit, those spice combos he sells are actually pretty damn good. We use them mosty for grilling. and I used the Smoke one for added taste to barbecue sauce for smoking little smokies. Ya can never have too much smoke flavor!

Check them out. You might find something you like.

And after reading this thread, I'll be checking out some of the brands others here recommended. That Espresso Rub seems interesting.

In the past I have used Stubbs and I liked the results. This past few summer s I've just made my own-with one exception:  Walkers Wood Jerk Seasoning on pork or chicken.

Superb.

Not exactly BBQ  USA style. But a wet rub worth a try-and you could finish off with BBQ sauce.

Here's a recipe from Big Green Egg's cookbook that I use all the time when making pulled pork, or any pork, beef as well. It makes two jars. I make a nice label, stick it on a good looking jar like a Bonne' jam jar or nice Dijon mustard jar, washed out, of course, one for me, one for my son-in-law, the griller/smoker. Compliments every time! 

Big Time BBQ Rub Ingredients

• ½ cup salt
  • ½ cup turbinado sugar
  • ¼ cup granulated brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 1 tablespoon granulated onion
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne
  • 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Big Time BBQ Rub Instructions

From Dr. BBQ’s Big Time Barbecue Cookbook” by Ray Lampe and published by St. Martin’s Press.

This is a very good and basic BBQ Rub. It works well on any food for smoking or grilling.

Combine all ingredients, mix well, and store in an airtight container.

Yields 1½ cups

(I blend all above ingredients in my small Kitchen-Aid chopper/blender. 

Edited by flysully

I use three different rubs on my ribs. Each going on at different stages of the process. Dont have the recipes here with me but can post it the next time I smoke ribs. It may be on x-mas

ive been being lazy as of late and using heaven made products- Texas best brisket rub....add coffee or whatever additional flavors i want in there......or as a base and adding brown sugar etc for pork....

also been doing a lot is simple S&P on stuff. 

On 12/18/2019 at 8:49 AM, HugeDinghy said:

ive been being lazy as of late and using heaven made products- Texas best brisket rub....add coffee or whatever additional flavors i want in there......or as a base and adding brown sugar etc for pork....

also been doing a lot is simple S&P on stuff. 

My XMAS primne rib is going to be S P this year.  Twice tried a garlic horseradish paste concoction.  Got no joy from it.