Quonnie

Flat Wings

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

we  would fish this one spot almost nightly in spring/summer that was a salt pond, that funneled through a bridge on outgoing tide and was essentially a river that dumped into the sound, this was the "Perfect" place for a flatwing and we would use them exclusively,   literally just cast and let the fly dead drift or swing to bass that were staged in the current

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you wrap the foam that might compress it a bit too much what if you used a bit of foam under the flat wing hackle like a support, it would add stiffness to the fly, slow down the dropping of the fly in the water column, if you match the foam to the hackle it would go unnoticed I imagine, I will see if I can tie a few up and do some tests and see how the move in the water.

I like the idea of dead drifting them I do that with surf candy in white water and it has been very effective.

Edited by Quonnie

Implementation can be done a number of ways but the concept is to use foam as a way of offsetting a heavier hook's tendency to decrease bouyancy. You could Palmer the body with a long strip, leave a strip tied in as a wing, whatever works. 

On 16/11/2019 at 6:57 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

Your statement rings true with me. Spot on!  Could not have said it any better or cleared. If you in future you hear me say it. Tell everyone I stole it from you. It's a new mindset for the sport, fishing now for stripers. Like sailors you use the wind, it's about the journey now, not about being at a destination. There is lesser chance of catching larger stripers, but it doesn't diminish we like to ply our skill and at the same time be in a beautiful environment. It's more about the activity of fishing, rather than catching, but when both concur, it's like heaven.

It has been this way in the U.K. for a great many years. It works for a while but as a Fisherman my aim is to want to catch fish. 
Governments already are aware that we will accept our lot.

But the principle you can’t argue with . Either accept adapt or chase another fish .

We ran out of fish in the U.K.

mike

29 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

It has been this way in the U.K. for a great many years. It works for a while but as a Fisherman my aim is to want to catch fish. 
Governments already are aware that we will accept our lot.

But the principle you can’t argue with . Either accept adapt or chase another fish .

We ran out of fish in the U.K.

mike

Mike, we pretty much out of ours here in the NE. 

If you are fishing in still water or even or even moving water I would forget about the foam.   Unless you have enough to completely float the fly it will not matter.  A swung fly in current with a light 254 or a heavy hook does not matter except for a few inches and the fish will come up for the fly if its 12 inches or 16 inches below the surface. Steelheaders have studied the swung fly thing and the depth achieved from various weightings and proved this out.   Its amazing how shallow swung flies stay despite the weight,  Also Abrames has talked about all that stuff in the facebook page and its just understanding hydrodynamics.   

Also if the hook straightens the fish wins!   And most of the time straighened hooks are from foul hooked fish or they swirled on it and got the hook in their body somewhere weird and that angle causes a bend and its nots the hook fault.  All of this comes from Abrames and I think it's true.  If anyone knows flatwings its him!   

I think people are over thinking it with the foam. Tie the fly a little more full to compensate, tie the fly one hook size larger on a hook one size smaller, etc. Lots of ways to over come the issue.

Also, the issue in this thread is probably a bit of an exception. It might matter sometimes but I doubt it will matter all the time.

Totally agree. Fuller especially with big flatwings I think is better. Seems they catch currents and move more that way too. They also fish well with more typical presentations. 

A 12'' haddock flatwing. For the rocks of Maine. Looked so alive in the churning water last June. On a 7/0 mustad, heavy wire. In swung current no foam or anything else required. 

IMG_20190615_205128_307.jpg

I often put a spun deer hair head on the fly if I want it at the surface. It also pushes more water, and I think the vibrations of the water going through the hairs helps grab the fish's attention. Anyway, they definitely work well.

Used Gama SC15 hooks or EC 254 never needed foam to keep a flatwing up high, always fished them in a current with a floater or Intermediate line, and they were all tied sparse, like counting hairs sparse 

Edited by Sandflee

I wonder if a flatwing cinder worm would work in the spring for the "hatch" similar concept not sure if the cinder worm has to be right on the surface but in the file or just under might be something to try you could make them small enough to float with a little flotant even.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, JCH said:

It is indeed a heavy hook.  I tied the below with the Tiemco 600sp - even though its billed as a 3x heavy, it doesn't feel it and I think it will suspend better than the Aki.  It also cut up my thumb something special, so apparently its pretty sharp.

5dd94e77e2040_IMG_0828copy.jpg.e74b905d012ef10b660b97a20049c59f.jpg

Update: it works.

5de67116ab0d9_IMG_0848copy.jpg.1ebe57f84089ce62a85bba7f67bed526.jpg