mlaurino88

West end 2 jetty now off limits

Rate this topic

239 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2020 at 7:51 PM, the3fishheads said:

The sand is for fake dunes at we2 I'd guess.

Destroying the environment to protect it no doubt. 

Screenshot_20190112-180512_Chrome.jpg

Hey, did you take this pic of this Eastern hognose at WE2 dock area?  If so, please PM me, thanks

9 mins ago, staktup said:

Hey, did you take this pic of this Eastern hognose at WE2 dock area?  If so, please PM me, thanks

It was on the path down the center from the building at we2. It was chasing people around. Not the first one I've seen them at we2. Used to have one as a pet. Escape artist and docile. Play dead when scared. 

Theres no doubt the area plowed over at the const dock entrance had hog nose living there.

Thanks for the update. Hogs are a

species of Special Concern in NYS. WCS/Bronx Zoo and the NPS reintroduced them to Gateway NRA

and FINS a few decades ago. Plenty of Fowler’s toads for them to eat at WE2.

I’m gonna reach out to some of my contacts and see if they can inquire about this site and piggyback their presence on the plover situation.  

19 hours ago, staktup said:

Thanks for the update. Hogs are a

species of Special Concern in NYS. WCS/Bronx Zoo and the NPS reintroduced them to Gateway NRA

and FINS a few decades ago. Plenty of Fowler’s toads for them to eat at WE2.

I’m gonna reach out to some of my contacts and see if they can inquire about this site and piggyback their presence on the plover situation.  

Hogs made a decent come back at Jones on their own. The dunes have to  be protected for it to continue.  Dont think gov cuomo could care less. It's about green. energy and wind mill farms. 

Amazing my hundreds and hundred of trips through the ConDock and I never bumped into one... I'm sure I would soil myself first and then come to my senses that it was a hognose.

Im glad they are around... keep that plover population in check

Amazing what I pick up from this site, as I too have done the walk for years and years, not to mention getting lost, and never bumped into one of these bad boys.  I would've nearly poo'ed myself also, trying to figure out from the head shape if it was packing venom.  Good to know, and I'll give them a wide berth if I do stumble onto one as well.

They are completely harmless to humans but will coil up and flatten their neck like a cobra and hiss at you. If that dont work they roll over and play dead.

13 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

they roll over and play dead.

I would do the same....

Imagine how foolish me and the hognose would be lying next to each other playing dead whilst other sharpies rush past my seemingly lifeless body to get to the better rock on the jetty.

Oh the humanity...............

11 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

I would do the same....

Imagine how foolish me and the hognose would be lying next to each other playing dead whilst other sharpies rush past my seemingly lifeless body to get to the better rock on the jetty.

Oh the humanity...............

U and the snake tits up. Too funny.