robc22

Well the market is there....

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

The public loves aquariums with captive whales, slaughtering seals to feed them would really pack em in. :)

What could be better? Feeding time is usually a great attraction.

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Use google man, there is no market.

The Chinese won't eat it.

The Japanese harvest their own but it's a tiny novelty market.

Canadian indigenous that harvest seal fur won't even eat it.

Meanwhile, it's banned in US, EU, even friggin Russia and Ukraine!

What market are you dreaming of?

I used google out of pure interest and came up with 2 links right a way that contradict some of your statements. One being nobody eats it; and the other being "even the indigenous wont eat it". In fact I clicked on the link you posted and it appears to be mainly an "anti seal hunting" page so I wouldn't expect there to be much transparency.

Learn something new every day; all of the clubbing of baby seals rhetoric that is constantly being pushed as fact is apparently false; white furred harp pups have been outlawed for slaughter since 1987..

Also I am a realist and know that seals will forever be safe in MA waters. Its an uphill battle just keeping the liberal anti hunting yuppies in this state from getting their wishes for outright bans on all hunting; while they sit at home and stuff their faces with prime rib and filet mignon. 

https://www.cbc.ca/cbcdocspov/features/inuit-defend-canadas-seal-hunt

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/seal-meat-indigenous-foods-traditional-hunt-elk-beaver-muskrat-caribou-1.3929734

3 hours ago, nateD said:

But what if it is actually from Canada and is just here visiting?

Then it would be a Canadian Canada goose! :howdy:

4 hours ago, willcodfish said:

if people sit home and watch killler whales eat seals on tv...im sure theres a market of people whod love to watch it live at an aquarium....like discovery live in 3d...lol

The discovery channel has already ran videos of killer whales chasing seals up onto beaches and eating them. The show (I forget which one it was) was pretty popular. So there might be a market there! :)

1 hour ago, CcCstriper89 said:

I used google out of pure interest and came up with 2 links right a way that contradict some of your statements. One being nobody eats it; and the other being "even the indigenous wont eat it". In fact I clicked on the link you posted and it appears to be mainly an "anti seal hunting" page so I wouldn't expect there to be much transparency.

Learn something new every day; all of the clubbing of baby seals rhetoric that is constantly being pushed as fact is apparently false; white furred harp pups have been outlawed for slaughter since 1987..

Also I am a realist and know that seals will forever be safe in MA waters. Its an uphill battle just keeping the liberal anti hunting yuppies in this state from getting their wishes for outright bans on all hunting; while they sit at home and stuff their faces with prime rib and filet mignon. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/seal-meat-indigenous-foods-traditional-hunt-elk-beaver-muskrat-caribou-1.3929734

do you have any data to support this??

This is what I found:  As of April 26,  2018,  58,764 harp seal pups had been ‘landed,’  according to Fisheries & Oceans Canada,  out of a quota set at 400,000,  near the peak numbers killed in the heyday of commercial sealing.

12 hours ago, robc22 said:

But I bet the green groups would scream bloody murder!

Canned seal meat.

74614798_10220159818286124_7876155544740823040_n.jpg.d648ee53bd3b104e964a5981c27a0adc.jpg

And some darn good lookin and rugged rain pants

74535371_10220159818006117_5816173347066609664_n.jpg.71a447c24a2c5ebae4eca3f79a7c8f5e.jpg

posting pictures of cans labeled seal meat proves nothing.  Just stirs the pot. 

You're saying it does not make it so.

If you have data/sources post them up.  

8 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

This is what I found:  As of April 26,  2018,  58,764 harp seal pups had been ‘landed,’  according to Fisheries & Oceans Canada,  out of a quota set at 400,000,  near the peak numbers killed in the heyday of commercial sealing.

Don’t have time to find the specific law at the moment but multiple sources including this article mention white coat pups being illegal to harvest. I’ll do some more looking tomorrow. https://www.nytimes.com/1985/02/10/world/days-of-clubbing-seal-pups-appear-to-be-over-in-canada.html

7 hours ago, willcodfish said:

call it imitation crab meat and call it a day then....gotta do something theyre becoming to the beaches as to what the canadian geese are to golf courses...

Dogfish is being marketed as Cape Shark. Maybe gray seal can be Cape Beef. 

12 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

posting pictures of cans labeled seal meat proves nothing.  Just stirs the pot. 

You're saying it does not make it so.

If you have data/sources post them up.  

Thank you.

It's a waste of time playing this game with these pin heads.

They believe what they want. Facts easily ignored. 

It's a waste of time trying to share links. Even if you get past the Walmart ad hijack. 

Ive made several attempts to post links that express the fact that seal meat tastes terrible and even indigenous peoples who harvest the fur can't get rid of it. None got thru. Screw it. Dopes like Rob can believe fairy tales.

There is no market. 

Canada is under huge international pressure to stop their seal hunt. They are the ones trying to justify by talking about canned seal meat. But no one buys it and most big market has banned all seal products. 

It's a ploy. Seal meat is not in demand.

13 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

They changed the law.

White coats were banned but they ammended it to allow the week old or better spotted pups.

But you're talking harp seals.

Grey seals are a different animal and the only ones relevant to the conversation. 

14 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

News reports from Canada. 

We know Canada is pushing canned seal meat.

Dig deeper than their propaganda to find exactly how much seal meat they sell. 

15 hours ago, robc22 said:

Are you just plan stupid? I already posted market possibilities they are doing in the Pacific NW.......Just keep up with your jackass remarks....Really.......why don't you take your bull**** attitude elsewhere......I have zero respect for you.....

:waah:

Too bad you're still wrong.

15 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Cracks me up. Even the Inuit nutritionist hired by canada to push seal meat implies she won't eat it.

"While Wakegijig has long advocated for Arctic people to eat their traditional foods, she admits, some do not appeal to her either."

ONLY people who are pushing the seal harvest are trying to claim there's a market for the meat.

There is no market.