DeepBlue85

ASFMC ARE FRAUDS

Rate this topic

119 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, Kima said:

Lot of "experts" around here lately...

Not sure what direction your taking and frankly it dosnt matter but before you dive Into something you probably dont give a crap about, forget everything you're reading and go inform your self on the bench mark assessment that effectively changes the goal posts on what's considered overfishing.  If you think things are fine now while everyone else is on life support ( maybe just me ) then be prepared to look at the sizes and numbers of fish we still recall with fond vivid memory, with eventual distant recollection and regret for not having done more on behalf of the fish which we're now ALL responsible for both in our inaction and our effort to save a respectable existence. 

The choice is yours, mine and anyone else who cares, which from the looks of it may be an uphill battle.

Edited by DeepBlue85

I went to some asmfc meetings in the mid 90's , when NY was still one at 28" . There were no party boat bass trips back then , mostly private charters and 6 packs . All and I mean all the recs wanted to keep it at 36" . The vote was a landslide. Yet they caved to commercial and party boat captains. It was pathetic. That was the beginning of the end in my eyes. 

Now that so many party boats hav had their foot in the door I don't see them ever taking the pressure off the bass .

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

I went to some asmfc meetings in the mid 90's , when NY was still one at 28" . There were no party boat bass trips back then , mostly private charters and 6 packs . All and I mean all the recs wanted to keep it at 36" . The vote was a landslide. Yet they caved to commercial and party boat captains. It was pathetic. That was the beginning of the end in my eyes. 

Now that so many party boats hav had their foot in the door I don't see them ever taking the pressure off the bass .

Agreed and we as participants and advocates for what in reality is in the best interest of the long term success of these boats, means nothing.  A result of uneducated, knuckle dragging fools that claim a risk to local business and their livelihoods and a great injustice to their rights as business people all of which are largely fabricated due to GREED.

The illusion they live within, that their sea faring "fishermen"....go beat off to another episode of deadliest catch becusse none of these boat guys are real fishermen.  Their a flock of SHEEP, cattle, herding creatures, a flock of birds, principal lacking cavemen that have resorted to mob mentality because their cowards who would rather jump on board with the easy wave of overfishing for the afoermentioned reasons ( including their stupidity) than do what is proper and right for the fishery and ultimately their long term ability to continue their beer battered operations.

Edited by DeepBlue85

55 mins ago, relentless pursuit said:

Where is the enforcement aspect in all of this? 

I guarantee everyone in my area that fishes bait besides the one or 2 that actually give a damn will still use the Same big gold snelled hooks that they have been using since they started fishing and they will still throw anything they catch in the bushes and haul it out when no ones looking because I HAVE ONLY SEEN AN ENVIRONMENTAL COP A HANDFUL OF TIMES IN THE LAST 10 YEARS..........John 

11 hours ago, jerrryboy said:

Deep Blue, you are a 100% correct , they made this decision once again knowing there is only a 50% chance it will work, "which it wont" because there are no numbers calculated in for the amout of poaching going on. The only thing that will save this fishery is to go back to a moritorium , like in the 80's where the fishery snapped back in a few years then they went to 1 fish at 36 inches for a few years ! there own charts show the results . but as stated this is all about politics and money , not the wellfare of this precious resource!!!!!!!!

Just FYI, the "moratorium" was not coastwide, it was limited to several states and some states never had a moratorium.

9 hours ago, MichaelT said:

I was at hearings yesterday they approved option 2 going for an 18% reduction for both commercial and recreational. The also approved the slot limit of 28-35" for keeping fish. They also approved requiring circle hooks when fishing bait. States have the option to use conservation equivalency that meets the 18% reduction criteria. 

While everyone is quick to blame ASMFC remember of the couple million recreational and commercial striper fisherman only 888 made it to the public comment meetings and about 1000 wrote individual letters. They approved the items that got either the most input votes or the second most. 

Doesn’t seem like they wanted to even consider what the public input was, as soon as 1@35 was brought up, it was immediately onto conservation equivalencies and then landing on the next option of a slot

6 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

It's not about real life or not, its about what people feel is right and after the many who voiced their educated and concerned opinions on behalf of a fishery we all love, it was flatly ignored for what certain aspects of the fishery wanted.  It's a slap in the face to those who did their part to defend what most feel was the right decision for 1 at 35".  When years of improper management continue, people have a right to be angry and concerned with the decision made, the only thing left is to mail letters and make phone calls..... which worked real well the first time around........

Maybe you're writing letter and making phone calls to the wrong people? Maybe if your ASMFC reps don't represent your views, you should be writing of calling the people who appoint them?

Yup, NJ and MD leading the way to bass stock destruction, just wait to see what crazy conservation equivalencies they come up with 

Commercials in NY have never had a 28 inch limit.

Just to keep things in perspective, what the ASMFC did yesterday was to give each state the right and the ability to craft whatever regulations it wants as long as it meets the 18% mortality reduction requirement So any state can still do a 1 at 35 inches or greater reg. 

Edited by MakoMike

Just now, MakoMike said:

Just to keep things in perspective, what the ASMFC did yesterday was to give each state the right and the ability to craft whatever regulations it wants as long as it meets the 18% mortality reduction requirement So any state can still do a 1 at 35inches or greater reg. 

Which is a terrible idea, so half the states do 1@35 the other half have the slot, then some have trophy tags, then MD takes 18” fish, that’s waaaaaay too much going on to tweek that “18%” reduction

6 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

Which is a terrible idea, so half the states do 1@35 the other half have the slot, then some have trophy tags, then MD takes 18” fish, that’s waaaaaay too much going on to tweek that “18%” reduction

With CE in play it all remains to be seen.