stroipaHuntah

Penn Slammer Uneven Line Lay

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So I've had these Penn Slammers for quite some time.  USA Made, probably from about 2009.  Bulletproof great reels in general. 

It seems now I'm having the same issue with two of them.  The line is laying unevenly, with more line on the bottom (spooling with braid).  It's causing nasty wind knots and the reel Is basically unusable because I'm losing stupid amounts of expensive braid.

I know the general way you fix this is by adjusting the shims above and below the spool.  Problem is, this reel doesn't have any shims.  What are my options here?

You are correct in saying they dont have spool shims on those reels. They are excellent well built built reels. 

You could replace the crosswind gear and crosswind block. That will tighten everything up back like when new.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:21 PM, handi2 said:

You are correct in saying they dont have spool shims on those reels. They are excellent well built built reels. 

You could replace the crosswind gear and crosswind block. That will tighten everything up back like when new.

I recently bought a Slammer III 4500 and the line lay is horrible (cone shaped from back to front of spool). Worse line lay I have seen on any spinning reel in my 50 yrs of fishing, mono or braid.

How can Penn sell these reels for the price they’re asking when the reel is crap straight out of the box?

11 mins ago, atlantictrader said:

I recently bought a Slammer III 4500 and the line lay is horrible (cone shaped from back to front of spool). Worse line lay I have seen on any spinning reel in my 50 yrs of fishing, mono or braid.

How can Penn sell these reels for the price they’re asking when the reel is crap straight out of the box?

You are to adjust the shape of line lay yourself.  Even some top tier shimano need adjustment out of the box, that's what those little nylon washers are for.

I have heard this about other brands as well.  I agree it’s BS and should be tuned to lay line evenly out of the box.  I have also decided to stop buying Penns for other reasons.   

15 mins ago, stroipaHuntah said:

I have heard this about other brands as well.  I agree it’s BS and should be tuned to lay line evenly out of the box.  I have also decided to stop buying Penns for other reasons.   

Good grief. Take a few minute to read the manual.  :dismay:  

13 hours ago, hobobob said:

You are to adjust the shape of line lay yourself.  Even some top tier shimano need adjustment out of the box, that's what those little nylon washers are for.

The factory sealed box did not have any shims/washers (nylon or otherwise) inside.

I got a 4500 last year and read some accounts of poor line lay and closing bails. Guys were removing the bail ramp without even trying the reel. I’ve encountered zero problems with the stock reel using 20# test braid. The stock thick and thin shims could be had from Penn. Or in a pinch, one could make their own using a plastic lid or milk carton.

541173EB-4EAD-4DB2-9807-F17D21B797ED.jpeg

Just about the easiest adjustment you can make to a reel, I've had to do it to a couple Daiwas. If the box didn't have shims that does kind of suck, but I'd just try one from the 20 other reel boxes I have.