Bait Tailer

Recommendations for newbie striper rod reel and line setup

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been covered many times before so please bear with me.  My initial search in this forum was overwhelming and I don't need many more fishing rabbit holes at this time (a 'newbies look here' fly fishing edition would be awesome).  I never had much interest in stripers on a fly because I loved fishing fast current and deep water for bigger fish from shore so thought it was impractical.   But this fall with all the small fish and a new home area with what I think are several perfect spots, I'd like to get back to fly fishing.  

In most of these spots 20-30" stripers are after small to medium bait relatively tight to steep rocky shore structure.  Currently throwing slugo, jerkbait or paddle tail style baits on swim bait hooks or jig heads up to 3/4 oz focussing on eddies pockets and other seams around rocky outcrops.  Also more than enough room for comfortable backcasts.  Did a lot of freshwater fly fishing as a kid and remember casting well enough to catch some good fish with cheap sports authority combos.  Hope it'll be like riding a bike!  

So what's an affordable but adequate rod reel and line pairing for casting medium baitfish patterns from river, inlet and possibly bay shorelines?  Started reading about line styles and weights and would love some recommendations to get started here in slow to moderate current. 

Basically whats the fly equivalent of a 3-4000 BG/Spinfisher, 8-9' mod-fast medium Tica/mojo/airwave etc and 30# braid that I would recommend to someone getting started in these conditions?  Something to get my feet wet but enough quality to enjoy and capability to handle bigger fish if necessary.  Can I keep this under $300 or do I need to change my expectations?  Sticker shock doesn't even begin to describe my reaction at a NYC fly shop over the weekend...

Edited by Bait Tailer

Well yeah, Urban Angler is catering to Wall St. types who have money to burn, and rich European tourists.  Can't tell you how many times I've been in there and seen them sell a whole set up, right down to tying the leader for a guy who is going on a fishing trip with his boss.  $300 is gonna be tough to get you in the game considering everything you need to start out from scratch, new line alone can be $100.

Best thing to do is take a deep breath and dive back into the many threads, really spend the time to figure out what you are looking for.  Go to some local clubs in your area, plenty of people will let you cast their rigs and you can get a feel for what works for your style of casting.  Advice you are gonna get in this thread will be almost useless to you.  YOU need to cast rod and line yourself.  So start with 9 wts or 8 wts as a place to look.  Then get somewhere where you can try rods, once you figure out what works for you, it will be easier to find something on the BST for less than new.

Go to your local tackle shop, talk to them, they'll listen and you can try usually right there with lots to choose from. BUY SOMETHING! A hat, decal, a fly then chew on it....the choices you had. Casting will be your biggest hurdle because you know nothing or very little. Oakman is right in his post...

Here the school bass are close so casting is short....good for a novice. No fly shop, no problem find a friendly face with a fly rod...we love to BS and help out.

New rabbit hole here we come!  was thinking about fly presentations working little sluggos around the rocks and seams and realized I need to pick up a fly rod asap.  Yes, very impulsive.  Wasn't urban anglers - checked their website and ruled them out but begrudgingly adjusting my expectations.  

Really appreciate the advice and hopefully more to come.  my first surf rod definitely shaped my casting style and expectations so look forward to pulling the trigger and going from there. 

I think Orvis Clearwater has very nice value for money when compared to twice the cost rods end even higher cost rods and when Orvis occasionally have "coupons" the full outfit should come to low $300.

Second hand outfit can be very good buy.

Maxcatch rod bought direct from asia has good VFM. Reels are OK as well but lines I have bought have been junk.

Esa

6 hours ago, Bait Tailer said:

New rabbit hole here we come!  was thinking about fly presentations working little sluggos around the rocks and seams and realized I need to pick up a fly rod asap.  Yes, very impulsive.  Wasn't urban anglers - checked their website and ruled them out but begrudgingly adjusting my expectations.  

Really appreciate the advice and hopefully more to come.  my first surf rod definitely shaped my casting style and expectations so look forward to pulling the trigger and going from there. 

Yeah, I forgot we had an Orvis store, if you were talking NYC proper and not just general.  Don't think Capital has any fly gear, maybe. . .

Good luck.  Get casting lessons.

$200. Complete set up bass pro shops.......... I have a bunch of Orvis rods and have blown them up from time to time, switched to bass pro deceiver model, they don’t cast as well, but for 100 bucks I spent not one has cracked on me fighting a fish. Bass Pros customer service is better than Orvis and you don’t have to wait 3 months to get your rod back if there is an issue.

10DE9063-73D2-4238-A3C4-5AF3EB48AEE5.png

58AB328F-30F1-4122-AD48-6269259A3DF6.png

3 hours ago, Flybyme said:

$200. Complete set up bass pro shops.......... I have a bunch of Orvis rods and have blown them up from time to time, switched to bass pro deceiver model, they don’t cast as well, but for 100 bucks I spent not one has cracked on me fighting a fish. Bass Pros customer service is better than Orvis and you don’t have to wait 3 months to get your rod back if there is an issue.

10DE9063-73D2-4238-A3C4-5AF3EB48AEE5.png

58AB328F-30F1-4122-AD48-6269259A3DF6.png

There you go, good info right there.  Still get casting lessons.

If your after schoolies mainly, I have a TFO TICRX 8 wt for sale on the BST forum for $125.  It's a great rod for what you are looking for.  Fairly easy to find an inexpensive reel and line to start yourself off.  Give it a look.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.  Dug through some old posts and conversations and decided to go with the TFO TIRCX suggested by many.  

Next up, looking into line options.  Have at least 70 tabs open and few pages of notes. Plan to visit orvis again and river bay outfitters tomorrow.  Starting to understand the terminology and line characteristics and looking for something versatile so I can jump back in and learn and adjust from there. 

Any advice on intermediate and sink tip lines also sinking poly leaders?  Leaning towards a sinking tip and have a ton of specific questions but figure it would be better to keep it general.  Know I'll need to get down 90% of the time to reach fish in these conditions and wondering about tradeoffs casting and working these lines in these steep rocky shore rips and eddies.

Thanks again,  Jake