Mr. Bigdeal

Fluke.....Wanna get sick....watch this.

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fluke..out of Barnegat Light...wanna get sick, watch this......no wonder there's no fish....omo.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

I've seen this before...depressing doesn't even begin to describe.  Honestly, when I see that it's a wonder there's anything left anywhere because that's a small operation compared to what's destroying huge swaths of ocean floor. 

I particularly like how they measure them after they're dead and floating belly up in ice....nice touch.

11 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Hurts my eyes to watch it..........

Its amazing these boats throw back hundreds of dead fish, and I've been boarded before measuring all my fish in Barny light area before. Im glad that boats are being boarded and fish being measured... but seriously.. 3 fish per angler while these guys are doing this crap... whats the point??? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Excuse me for my ignorance, but I'm assuming these are commercial fisherman. Aren't the rules vastly different for them? Are these guys doing anything illegal? Is it that they're pretty much throwing dead ones back that doesn't meet size minimums, but by that time, they're already dead?

Edited by kyleeng

1 min ago, pakalolo said:

Correct on all counts! Nothing illegal at all. 

Nope but incredibly wasteful. 

but hey, good’ol bootstraps needs to make a living!

8 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Correct on all counts! Nothing illegal at all. 

That's right, nothing illegal at all and that is exactly what makes it so sad. Commercial fishermen have lobbyists working on their behalf to keep wasteful fishing practices like this legal. Regulations to protect the resource only apply to recreational fishermen because they don't have lobbyists. Regardless of what's legal and what's not, at the rate fish are being killed commercially, it is not difficult to understand that soon there will be nothing left. 

It appears recreational fisherman are only a "pimple on the arse of the Fluke Harvest" compared to the vaccuming of the ocean floor by these fellas and the death rate of shorts and varied by-catch becomes acceptable........disturbing at best.

This is one reason I stopped ordering fluke from restaurants....

I know the guy has to make a living but there has to be a better way.