hudson river striper runs?

Rate this topic

On 11/18/2019 at 4:12 PM, quietdesperation said:

interesting! I still haven't seen an explanation of why stripers are unsafe to eat in the hudson. but become safe once they migrate to NJ. Perhaps I'll write to cornell, they have a Hudson River Research Extension.

In theory, they're not safe.  If you look at New York health advosories, you'll see warnings on bass caught in the western Sound and western South Shore, as well.  NY DOH obviously wouldn't worry about fish off New Jersey, but the Hudson fish down there would carry the same PCB loads as those in the waters mentioned above.

Whether those warnings are still needed, even in the river, is an open question.  They are based on tests made years ago.  The NY DEC is planning to do new tests to determine PCB loads, and if nothing changes, such tests should begin in the relatively near future.  Once they're completed, the health advisories, and certain restrictions on commercial fishing, could change.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams