hudson river striper runs?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm somewhat new to fishing, live in northern westchester, the hudson is about five minutes away.  I understand there's a striper run every year, lots of people casting from the shore. Anyone have a sense of what tackle I'd need to fish from the shore? Also, I believe it's not safe to eat fish from the Hudson. Seems a little strange, aren't these the same fish that are eventually caught and eaten off of NJ?

thanks, any and all help appreciated!

best,

The bass bite was hot north of that new bridge end of sept- mid oct. That big oct 17 storm blew them right out to the ocean. This past spring, last week of March into April the striper bite was every other cast. May through August is pretty slow on the Hudson, but LI sound is not far away :p

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started fishing saltwater / hudson river recently too.   I'm struggling to understand where/when/how of the hudson.  I'm reading lots, but I don't understand for example, if the only way to catch off of shore is just throwing baits OR if I can also throw lures.  

So much to learn. I'll keep reading. 

On 11/2/2019 at 1:16 PM, cheech said:

The bass bite was hot north of that new bridge end of sept- mid oct. That big oct 17 storm blew them right out to the ocean. This past spring, last week of March into April the striper bite was every other cast.

Really interesting.  Experienced the great early spring east river/western sound bite and assumed those fish were leaving fish leaving the Hudson.   Also assumed they would would return to the Hudson late fall and early winter to spend the winter.  Knew about the spawning run but not that there was a good early fall bite there.  Are there bass in the Hudson year round?

The fall bite is on bunker/ peanuts, massive schools of bait were present this year. Bluefish can also be caught in August into the fall. Smaller bass holdover in the river for a few seasons, and there are some larger year round resident fish. Most larger stripers leave the river and go south for the winter, returning in spring to spawn when the water hits the mid sixties. The spring bite is all about the herring, which are anadromous just like the bass. From the shore bloodworms is the predominant bait, guys on boats also use herring and plugs. I’m still learning too, this season I found out channel cats can be caught on the river and in its tributaries.

FD9A7592-E7DD-4FF5-ADD4-6D30E468AC97.png

Edited by cheech

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

20 hours ago, quietdesperation said:

interesting! I still haven't seen an explanation of why stripers are unsafe to eat in the hudson. but become safe once they migrate to NJ. Perhaps I'll write to cornell, they have a Hudson River Research Extension.

Not an expert on this, but the general explanation is that top tier predator like Stripers will accumulate and concentrate chemicals in their body from bait fishes that they are eating. Beyond that, existence of PCB from GE manufacturing plants are well documented.  https://www.riverkeeper.org/campaigns/stop-polluters/pcbs/tell-epa-protect-people-and-wildlife-not-ge/ 

Personally, I'm not comfortable eating fish from the hudson on a regular basis. But, I'd love to see actual measurement of how bad the fish in the hudson are contaminated, so that I can make a more informed decision.  That's some thing I'm completely ignorant about.  

As cheech said, I'd be more concerned with resident Hudson fish. However, big stripers have had plenty of time to bioaccumulate all sorts of contaminants throughout their life. Biomagnification also comes into play since stripers are either at the top, or near the top, trophic level for most of their lives. I wouldn't indulge often for both fishery and human health reasons.

Edited by C.Robin

How you prepare the fish is also important. There are also images online that show the fatty parts of the fish to avoid where contaminants may be concentrated. The shad and herring the bass mostly feed on are also ocean going fish that only return to the Hudson to spawn. Like all things in life, moderation is the key.