Mike

The Dead Fish Pics Thread

Rate this topic

243 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, C.Robin said:

........... in the end boat fishing is objectively easier.

All depends on what people are doing.   Big difference between sitting in your truck with your rod in a sand spike, vs making your way out on the jumping jacks in the dark and plugging.

Sure boat fishing can be easy, but it can also be prepping the boat/gear all day, leaving the dock at midnight in fog, navigating a bay that is a minefield of crab pot floats and clam stakes in the pitch black, exiting an inlet in the pitch black, navigating waves/swells you cannot see in the pitch black, driving 70 miles by radar, dealing with container ships, tugs with barges, and cruise ships running perpendicular to your course, and after all of that, setting up a spread in the dark at 4am, only to hopefully catch fish, get back in the inlet before dark, and clean fish till midnight, already down a whole night without sleep.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, C.Robin said:

but in the end boat fishing is objectively easier.

Nonsensical ignorant bullsht.  Lets go dead bait trolling for marlin, flyfishing for permit, popping for big tuna, etc etc.  Come on you drive, where should we go?

Edited by Cpalms

5 hours ago, bigfish4me said:

17’ McKee for the river and back bay....24’ Black Fin that’s been in my family for 30 years.... bought the black fin from my uncle after his heart attack 2 years ago .... how about you?

36F8D588-900F-4368-AEE9-A9D12DED4A73.jpeg

1B203B55-B9D3-460D-A8BC-61D893245EEB.jpeg

Love the 24 BF biggie.

Great uncle had the same but with twin chryslers.  Built like a brick ****house.  A ****house that ran like a knife...a very fast knife....

On 11/7/2019 at 11:40 AM, Cpalms said:

Even shtty help doesn't come cheap in the Hamptons.

No like I said my beef is guys fishing for a living.  My beef is guys NOT fishing for a living.  If you are bestowed tags the least you can do is get your lazy ass off the couch and catch your own fish.  Not pay some other guys to do it for you.  Yes, I have a problem with that.

The tag holder must be on the vessel that lands the bass and they work  they’re not passengers on a pleasure cruise. But you already knew that Robin 

On 11/7/2019 at 7:57 AM, pakalolo said:

4 sets of tags ( 900 pieces) filled in 2 sets

IMG_7180.JPG

Then how come in your picture here there are 2 guys but you say 4 sets of tags???

Robin?

Edited by Cpalms

17 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

All depends on what people are doing.   Big difference between sitting in your truck with your rod in a sand spike, vs making your way out on the jumping jacks in the dark and plugging.

Sure boat fishing can be easy, but it can also be prepping the boat/gear all day, leaving the dock at midnight in fog, navigating a bay that is a minefield of crab pot floats and clam stakes in the pitch black, exiting an inlet in the pitch black, navigating waves/swells you cannot see in the pitch black, driving 70 miles by radar, dealing with container ships, tugs with barges, and cruise ships running perpendicular to your course, and after all of that, setting up a spread in the dark at 4am, only to hopefully catch fish, get back in the inlet before dark, and clean fish till midnight, already down a whole night without sleep.

Dont forget the fog. Man I hate pea soup fog. Especially when you hear a boat coming at you and cant see chit.

39 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

25 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Nonsensical ignorant bullsht.  Lets go dead bait trolling for marlin, flyfishing for permit, popping for big tuna, etc etc.  Come on you drive, where should we go?

I should've specified striper fishing, my mistake. Once you get into the offshore game, there are plenty of difficulties/hazards the surf guys don't have to deal with.

Edited by C.Robin

22 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Dont forget the fog. Man I hate pea soup fog. Especially when you hear a boat coming at you and cant see chit.

Fog was the first thing I mentioned.  It drives me out of my mind sometimes.

8 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I should've specified striper fishing, my mistake. Once you get into the offshore game, there are plenty of difficulties/hazards the surf guys don't have to deal with.

We leave for Striper fishing in the dark all December long, dealing with frozen docks, slick decks, deadly cold water, and all kinds of boating issues that can be caused by freezing cold temps and ice.

Fishing, whether by boat or foot, can be a walk in the park, or very dangerous.  I think the people on both sides of the spectrum who put in serious efforts deserve credit.

Or maybe they just deserve to be committed to an asylum.

16 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

We leave for Striper fishing in the dark all December long, dealing with frozen docks, slick decks, deadly cold water, and all kinds of boating issues that can be caused by freezing cold temps and ice.

Fishing, whether by boat or foot, can be a walk in the park, or very dangerous.  I think the people on both sides of the spectrum who put in serious efforts deserve credit.

Or maybe they just deserve to be committed to an asylum.

Hazards aside, it's simply a lot easier to have a successful striper fishing day on a boat as opposed to from the surf. Just having beyond a ~100 yard range from the shore makes that true. That's all I meant, even if worded poorly. 

Edited by C.Robin

2 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Hazards aside, it's simply a lot easier to have a successful striper fishing day on a boat as opposed to from the surf. Just having beyond a ~100 yard range from the shore makes that true. That's all I meant, even if worded poorly. 

Simply having a boat that will let you go to where the fish are, without question, improves your chances of success, yes, I think we'd all agree with that.

25 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Missed that been out all day in the cold wind banging out stripers feeling a lil wiped out. Agreed fog sucks and if ya ain't got radar it sucks worse.

C.Robin said:

"I should've specified striper fishing, "

That can be a massive amount of work loss of sleep and way more hazards to your health than surf fishing. Bass fishing outside and in with my bud Rob was intense physical dedication that payed off with great memories and serious bass. You wouldn't believe what we went through to almost guarentee fish.

Edited by the3fishheads
Saw your response yes for the most part a boat will get you there but you still have to know where to go and how to catch

Very happy to say these are the last bass I will ever intentionally kill (pics from 2016-2018).......I am not proud of it but it’s how I used to be....Once I started releasing big fish I got a sense of satisfaction I didn’t get before.......I hold the belief that we can’t be advocates for the fishery if we harvest fish, It’s not like it once was and if the new cat’s just starting see us setting the example of C&R only they will likely follow.......Tight lines and I encourage all of you to make the switch as I did and release those Bass! No fillet is worth killing a fish we dedicate our lives chasing........John

FBCBAD06-3C44-4F70-9C19-B3A89114F79F.png

A4FD3D6D-88EB-41EA-957E-3765EEDA0F2A.jpeg

3F9A357F-ADE4-474B-AB8E-10E005964C10.jpeg

ADB30D4F-D725-4A4D-B947-6CD461AE4FAE.jpeg

D4531F12-699D-45AC-B7C0-6A1762AFFC4A.jpeg