CKjeep84

Bucktail trailers.......

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Just wondering what everyone was using as a bucktail trailer. I know  guys use Otter tail's, Fat Cow and rubber grub tails or paddle tails. I usually use a white 4 or 6 inch grub tail. I wish I stock piled on the Uncle Josh before they stopped making them. Or are they any good DIY options ?

Curious about this too. I've been using fat cow jig strips or gulp swimming mullet, but that's only because that's what I've often seen on the Tube. I really hate dealing with gulp and the smell, and having to put it back in the bag when I'm done. And I like the action of paddle tails a lot more than fat cow jig strips, so I've been thinking of switching.

I might just use paddle tails and put some fish scent on it.

It depends on what I see out there. If there's evidence of sand eels ill use a small ronz tail, if peanuts ill use a small paddle tail of some kind. Otter tails are nice but they take up a lot of room in the bad, and that lube they use is tough to get off your hands. 

18 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

each trailer has its time and place.. If you only use 1 style or brand, you are severely limiting the usage of the BT

I totally under stand that. I have used Otters with no luck so I just stuck with the grub tails.  Confidence thing I guess, but I'm looking to try other stuff. 

3 mins ago, CKjeep84 said:

I totally under stand that. I have used Otters with no luck so I just stuck with the grub tails.  Confidence thing I guess, but I'm looking to try other stuff. 

definitely not just a confidence thing. I have tried and tested this theory and it has been proven too many times. Curly vs straight, long vs short, split vs single, skinny vs fat, color vs white. it mainly depends on what type of spot you are fishing, what the water looks like, and what bait is present.

I dont want to ruin the fun of experimenting but Ill leave the thread with this. When rain bait is ur foliage around jetties with lots of sweep, try a deep split curly tail. Game over, enjoy.

Try playing around with trailers when either youre on a stupid bite or when u know there are fish in front of you but they wont bite.

2 hours ago, CKjeep84 said:

Just wondering what everyone was using as a bucktail trailer. I know  guys use Otter tail's, Fat Cow and rubber grub tails or paddle tails. I usually use a white 4 or 6 inch grub tail. I wish I stock piled on the Uncle Josh before they stopped making them. Or are they any good DIY options ?

its not hard or expensive to make your own pork rind trailers. there's more than a few threads on here about how to do it. this one should get you started.

I would generally say to not put paddletails on bucktails as the hairs are really just restricting/obscuring the swimming movement you're after.  Paddle tail on jighead, or bucktail with trailer is how I go and I personally find that to be the most effective.  Then again, Mojo's downright work so I guess if you want to go this route just make sure the paddle extends past the hairs.  

Totally agree with Dragonslax, different situations call for different trailers.  Adding to what he said, also take into account where in the water column you want to fish.  Take your regular bucktailing logic (more drag/hair for the same ounce bucktail means it'll fish higher in the column) and apply it with your trailers.  The bigger the trailer and the more drag, the higher in the column its going to stay if you keep your retrieval rate constant.  

Edited by Bluetaildragger

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

Interesting thread...here's a question.... does anyone here ever  go without a trailer? 

Yes and caught as well.