tper

Macks - Question for Angler 1 or others

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, z-man said:

How do you guys cook them? I watched a YouTube video a few weeks ago where they filleted the jacks and pan fried them and said they were very good. I’m not sure if I believe them but would like to give it a try. 

One can butterfly the mackerel after cleaning and pan fried I would use some sort of a flour and egg batter before frying. However we do have a resident mackerel chef here with Saxon. He would be the best to provide the good recipe his wife uses. Go get them Saxon my friend

Just asked my wife, this is her recipe.

Clean fish, cut off head and tail, and open flat, butterfly as Carl calls it, although sometimes she will cook with the head on, our Asian friends swear that this enhances the flavor of the  flesh and must be served on your plate.

Dry thoroughly with paper towel, again must be dry or meat will turn mushy.

Sprinkle seasoning of choice both sides.

Small amount of flour sprinkle on plate and rub both sides of fish.

Hot cooking oil, and fry skin side up first till meat is golden brown, then turn and skin down for a few minutes.

Remove fish and most of oil.

In oil that's left fry up chopped onions, sliced red peppers, sliced green peppers, and sliced tomato, when soft add tablespoon of tomato paste or some puree and mix together.

On serving plate, pour sauce over fish.

Serve with vegetables of choice, I like best when my wife boils small potatoes with skin on, and broccoli.

If I cook it myself, I sprinkle pepper and fry it till almost crispy. Eat the whole thing, skin and bones, except spine accompanied with fresh bread and a large pot of tea.[or beer].

21 hours ago, saxon59 said:

Just asked my wife, this is her recipe.

Clean fish, cut off head and tail, and open flat, butterfly as Carl calls it, although sometimes she will cook with the head on, our Asian friends swear that this enhances the flavor of the  flesh and must be served on your plate.

Dry thoroughly with paper towel, again must be dry or meat will turn mushy.

Sprinkle seasoning of choice both sides.

Small amount of flour sprinkle on plate and rub both sides of fish.

Hot cooking oil, and fry skin side up first till meat is golden brown, then turn and skin down for a few minutes.

Remove fish and most of oil.

In oil that's left fry up chopped onions, sliced red peppers, sliced green peppers, and sliced tomato, when soft add tablespoon of tomato paste or some puree and mix together.

On serving plate, pour sauce over fish.

Serve with vegetables of choice, I like best when my wife boils small potatoes with skin on, and broccoli.

If I cook it myself, I sprinkle pepper and fry it till almost crispy. Eat the whole thing, skin and bones, except spine accompanied with fresh bread and a large pot of tea.[or beer].

Now that is what i call a great way to cook any mackerel you are lucky enough to catch and take home. Thanks Saxon