tper

Macks - Question for Angler 1 or others

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Is it me or are we missing the Macks on the east end -- this time of year they are usually loaded...  right?

Could it have something to do with the oxygen level issues earlier in the year

Or am I totally off base 

Tper

tper I generally look for Novemeber 11 as my start up time for Blue Bullets along the canal. I have yet to make any exploratory trips as I have been keeping myself to busy  at the house. I hope to take a break over the weekend and try to wet a line or two . I need to check out some rods and reels I have been working on thanks to my benefactor that just after 27 years in the tackle business gave me a some nice gifts . If sat or sunday is a go for you we could meet for coffee at the DD on Route 6a and head on over.

I was n the ditch last night through this morning until 0900 or so.  I did not see any macks.  After sunrise there was some small (3"-ish) baitfish jumping out of the water for a few minutes.  There was a smattering of birds working just before I saw the baitfish.  Lots of 20-22" fish hitting anything that splashed at all.  I had hits on silly stuff, like a Gaines Maverick just as it landed.  Caught one fish on a fat 6" pikie.  Watched another guy get six or so fish, all clones, on SS popper ripped across the surface.

6 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

I was n the ditch last night through this morning until 0900 or so.  I did not see any macks.  After sunrise there was some small (3"-ish) baitfish jumping out of the water for a few minutes.  There was a smattering of birds working just before I saw the baitfish.  Lots of 20-22" fish hitting anything that splashed at all.  I had hits on silly stuff, like a Gaines Maverick just as it landed.  Caught one fish on a fat 6" pikie.  Watched another guy get six or so fish, all clones, on SS popper ripped across the surface.

Glad to hear your still finding plenty of action!

12 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Glad to hear your still finding plenty of action!

All smalls, Cal.  

Live snake generated one keeper-sized bass for my friend.

17 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm going to give mack's a try this fall. I'd really like to get some to smoke or possibly sushi.

Both sound great!

16 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Both sound great!

It's been years since I've smoked mack's. They are delicious, but have to be super fresh.

6 hours ago, bob_G said:
6 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Both sound great!

It's been years since I've smoked mack's. They are delicious, but have to be super fresh.

I would like to try to do some smoked macks,would you just clean them,then put them in the smoker? Cant see them taking alot of time,4 hrs. 230?

I think it might be nice if and when the blue bullets show op that those and I mean every one here try and have a party down on the east end once they show . The best times from eons of experience is best staring on Veteran day and just before the current turns west at the east end . Small flies or sabichi with a lead weight on the bottom [no hooks] Bank sinker worked best.. Have multiple rig s made up with different colors Yellow and white , yes white can be very effective as yellow . 4 to 5 hooks on the tree tied # 1  hooks 

lead weight from 3,4,5, ounces Some times you will not need to work the rig , just et the current carry the rig along, feeling the tip for some action after you let it hit the bottom. The more the current moves the further up you will need to cast or place a larger weight on the end . Do not be afraid to let go  for a ride if it is not to crowded. UNless the numbers are high in the school that will be passing by for the most part the store mackerel rigs do not catch other then the sabicki with wings .Get at least 30 pound test on the main because if the big ones come in the hooks will break of the main line , once you load up . When that happens I normally go down to a three or four hook rig, because you can get into a tussle, with a load of big boys. So far have not seen any activity , but they are outside in the bay. 

I don't have any sabiki rigs.  Can I just gin some up by making a series of loops on my leader to which I attach say 12" of mono with some old FW wet flies in the colors you mentioned?  (IIRC, the hooks on the wet flies range from size ten down to size 4.  I probably have some beat up salmon flies in sizes 4 and 2.)

Sounds good Angler#1, I am stuck to looking at hitting a slack tide on a Sunday,due to work.East end @ the bulkhead is where I will be.

Went down the other day and today for a short while . The other day I saw 2 get caught on his first cast. Then nothing water is dirty today only made a few cast, nothing  Got a nice call for Chuck lst night and we spoke for awhile . Winter has hit us sooner then expected, but who knows we may still get a few days of warmth 

Put my tautog gear away last night after a decent fall, and planned today's outing for macks, first time this year.

It was a toss up between East end of Canal or Newport RI.

Chose Newport thinking would be more sheltered, wrong ! Wind was blasting down the bay unmolested.

Tough going was an understatement and no sign yet of any macks.

Last year after the canal slowed down, we were catching good numbers at Newport right up until Christmas.

I work on the Cape and will be hitting the east End regularly from now on, I'll keep my eyes open for any of you guys out there.