CLFish5

Help a newbie out!!

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Surfwith11 said:

Im Sorry but most of the  the fishermans talk lot of crap always no one will tell u good spots and what they using but they will tell u how many fish they get from spot that u fish and didn't get any.its all about time and how u reel with different lures please dont waste your money with lures places u go to fish u need bucktail,diamond jig and sp minnow stick with them for now than u try top water lures.dont pay attention wat they said and wat they use just go to place's and check u r self .

Thanks for your honest post.

I think I should be more specific so here goes:

1. I use 30lb braid. What kind of leader should I use for open surf? Jettys?

2. what knot should I use from leader to braid? I currently use Alberto. 

3. I go braid flouro ta clip lure. Can I use mono? Should I be using a swivel?

4. when I cast, how far should the lure be reeled up to my rod tip? Currently I leave about 1 or 2 feet. Is that enough?

thanks for help

1.I use 40-50 leader

2.Alberto is fine. A lot of guys like FG.

3.I've noticed zero difference between mono and fluro for anything other than Albies. Swivel helps reduce line twist and IMHO makes tying way easier, plus you can have many pre tied leaders handy.

4. I like 3-4 feet

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

1. I use 30lb braid. What kind of leader should I use for open surf? Jettys?

2. what knot should I use from leader to braid? I currently use Alberto. 
3. I go braid flouro ta clip lure. Can I use mono? Should I be using a swivel?

4. when I cast, how far should the lure be reeled up to my rod tip? Currently I leave about 1 or 2 feet. Is that enough?

You will have 100s of different opinions/answers on those questions,lol.

1. Leaders on open surf;  fluoro for clear water or mono for murky waters, no need to go anything bigger than 30lb; jetties, with all those rocks around you may go higher than 30lb.

2.  My (personal !!!!) choice is uni to uni; lots of people using Alberto, too.

3. Like I said, you can use mono all times; my (personal) preference is fluoro for clear and mono for murky waters. I like using braid, swivel, leader, direct tie or clip.

4. That also could depend on  rod and your casting abilities. My (personal choice) on my rods is about 3-4 feet, depending how long is my leader(s) and if I have a swivel or not. With no swivel on some lures I even cast with 10 inches of line out of the tip.

Again, those are my personal choices and I am so used on those. You will hear 100s of different opinions and answers on each of your questions. By time spending doing it, you will find your own way.

Edited by Popasilov

On 11/2/2019 at 7:00 AM, Surfwith11 said:

please dont waste your money with lures places u go to fish u need bucktail,diamond jig and sp minnow stick with them for now

9 post know it all ....

Telling  a newbie to fish a bucktail ???  really bro

This thread is just dancing on my nerves, go join a fishing club or a support group or something.

You won't learn how to fish on a web board....try more fishing and less posting

CL... here is a gut check to answer all of your questions in one go.

Your original thread post was initiated last Tuesday October 29th ... it is now Monday November 4th..

How many times have you gone fishing since your original post ?

I have fished 6 evenings since your first post including Halloween after I put the kids to bed from trick or treating.

For clarification, I have a wife that demands my attention, I have children, I have a corporate job that requires me to travel into the city on the LIRR each morning.

I probably had a total of 15-20 hours of sleep last week, I was a zombie at work bouncing into walls.

I have Walmart rods, cheap reels, cheap waders, all around cheap gear.

I never chased bass until 4 years ago and when I did, I was  weekend warrior, when it was convenient.

Now I fish like a savage and my catch rate exploded....my lure selection, on point, my confidence...that of an adonis.

No Youtube...no web forums... I FISHED and FISHED and FISHED.

Stop posting about your line, your lure, your casting angles, your favorite youtube channel ... JUST GO FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by baldadonis2002

5-10 years ago you would have been into big fish on every one of those outings using the exact lures and techniques you already are. Can’t catch em if they aren’t there. 

Right now, the fish being caught off the beach are small and tight to surf line so it really doesn't matter if your using 30 or 50 pound mono or flouro.  Most fish are being caught on bucktails (night) or tins (day).  I've also caught them on small swimming plugs and shads.  I've tried top water as well but that bite seems to be dead right now.

When you go out, be observant of wind, tides and time of day/night and keep a log.  Patterns will evolve.  Watch the wave action in front of you and cast to different parts of the waves, cuts, etc.  it will take time but if your patient and putting in the time, you'll get it.

When fishing, the speed of your retrieve is important.  Tins and bucktails are typically fished just above the bottom with an occasional bounce.  

1 hour ago, Stripsettter said:

5-10 years ago you would have been into big fish on every one of those outings using the exact lures and techniques you already are. Can’t catch em if they aren’t there. 

Sad but true.  Take care releasing the fish your catching, they are next years slot fish and breeders of future generations. Taking pictures of every fish you catch to post online doesn't make you good fisherman.  Good fisherman rarely pictures because they don't need to.

11 mins ago, John E said:

Sad but true.  Take care releasing the fish your catching, they are next years slot fish and breeders of future generations. Taking pictures of every fish you catch to post online doesn't make you good fisherman.  Good fisherman rarely pictures because they don't need to.

Agreed....No bait, No barbs and No buckets. I’m opting for single hooks as well, keeping fish in water and skipping the pics. I think I can get my release mortality rate down to low single digits. 

16 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

9 post know it all ....

Telling  a newbie to fish a bucktail ???  really bro

This thread is just dancing on my nerves, go join a fishing club or a support group or something.

You won't learn how to fish on a web board....try more fishing and less posting

8 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

CL... here is a gut check to answer all of your questions in one go.

Your original thread post was initiated last Tuesday October 29th ... it is now Monday November 4th..

How many times have you gone fishing since your original post ?

I have fished 6 evenings since your first post including Halloween after I put the kids to bed from trick or treating.

For clarification, I have a wife that demands my attention, I have children, I have a corporate job that requires me to travel into the city on the LIRR each morning.

I probably had a total of 15-20 hours of sleep last week, I was a zombie at work bouncing into walls.

I have Walmart rods, cheap reels, cheap waders, all around cheap gear.

I never chased bass until 4 years ago and when I did, I was  weekend warrior, when it was convenient.

Now I fish like a savage and my catch rate exploded....my lure selection, on point, my confidence...that of an adonis.

No Youtube...no web forums... I FISHED and FISHED and FISHED.

Stop posting about your line, your lure, your casting angles, your favorite youtube channel ... JUST GO FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Edited by Rip-Line

24 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

You spent time, trolling my posts to dig up something 9 years ago

RIP Line..... stalking much?

Just a good memory. :howdy: Please tell us more.

Edited by Rip-Line