CLFish5

Help a newbie out!!

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Rip - The location of where he is fishing is totally irrelevant to the topic he is posting about.

As a clear newbie to the forum I'm educating him now ..before his next post is  "I scored 15 fish at high tide from JB Field 6, 100 paces from the main entrance, just past the old man reading a newspaper"

How you like me now?

East or West? Dont be elusive.

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Piss poor advice ... I bounce A17s off the bottom sometimes and they kill.

Ever see a sand eel puff sand off the bottom... A17 can do the same.

Try everything...slow, fast, jig, twitch, bounce.... you don't know what they want or how they want it

Pay more attention to the drop of lure as you retrieve.  To prove the point more.  How many times to you hook up on the drop.  Fish the way you feel. 

Drop of the lure is caused by rod pumps. And I hope you use different weights not just an ava17.  I do agree on the retrieve.

Edited by Chrisabbatiello

Posted (edited) · Report post

Almost all balonis

Everybody knows what JB, RM, JR, BGC, GSS, CB, ACP, GFOH and the rest stands for.

Same thing as for LOL LMAO

Lets try to help guy asking honest questions.

Edited by Popasilov

On 10/29/2019 at 3:38 PM, CLFish5 said:

I am a newbie when it comes to catching stripers for the surf and I confess....I get skunked every time I go out!!! It’s really frustrating and I thought I could post on here for some help and guidance.

Some info:

1. I’ve fished 7-8 times in the past month and have gotten skunked each time.

2. I’ve fished the front of RM 5, 2, 4 as well as the back at those locations. I have also fished WE2 and JB 6. 
3. I normally fish the last 2 hours of incoming and the first two of outgoing.

4. I have used A17, A27, SP Minnows, bucktails of different sizes, soft plastics, and mag darters. I fish these as I believe I should. Varying retrieve speeds, bouncing off bottom, etc. 

This is my first fishing season. I started in July and did decently well off the jetties with the blues and fluke from shore. But I cannot catch a striper to save my life!!! It’s so frustrating! Yesterday I went out to the surf and literally couldn’t even cast it was so windy and the current was crazy. I used A17, 27, and bucktails and couldn’t even get them over the first breaker and bar. 

Please fisherman help me out. I am so passionate for this sport. I watch all the videos and use the reports to help guide me. I’ve put in hours of time and can’t land a fish.

Any advice for the noob? I would love to clarify on any missing info if needed!!

The parking fields don't matter, beaches are dynamic and the soft structure that holds fish is constantly changing. Are you simply going out and casting? Or are you reading the beach? If you don't know how to read the beach for surfcasting there are plenty of videos on youtube on the subject. 

There are days where the conditions just don't line up for surfcasting, like a strong crosswind or heavy weeds. Keep a log, and you will eventually know when it may not be worth going out, and when you should be itching to get out there. Lately, I've really just been going out when I have time to, which has impacted my success/skunk ratio. I still have had a few good days recently, but you can increase your success rates with proper planning. 

Lastly, try to enjoy simply being out there, the fish will come even if they're getting harder to come by. Getting frustrated isn't going to help you. Some days where I can't buy a bite, I just take a seat and nature watch for a bit. More than a couple times I've done this, and a blitz or other signs of life erupt out of nowhere. Most of it is just being in the right place at the right time. 

15 hours ago, Rip-Line said:

You can't be serious. :dismay: Good thing he didn't mention MTK. 

Seriously. I guess Tim should be called out for this: 

Long Island/NY Fishing

Montauk out east...Jones Beach, the WE's, and Staten Island to the west...awesome inlets all around!

Can anyone suggest a good video to learn how to read the beach? I’m unsure if what I’ve watched is accurate.

Any other forums or informational sites that are things I should definetely join or read?

i appreciate all the people how have chimed into help out! I humbly take the advice given!!

29 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

Can anyone suggest a good video to learn how to read the beach? I’m unsure if what I’ve watched is accurate.

Any other forums or informational sites that are things I should definetely join or read?

i appreciate all the people how have chimed into help out! I humbly take the advice given!!

Look up richtroxler on youtube.  I think he explains it best.

1 hour ago, CLFish5 said:

I'm JUST starting to understand reading the beach and I've been fishing  for over 20 years. It takes time and practice and persistence. Nothing that watching a 5 minute video will teach you. Go to the beach and just watch the water. Also, soft structure can change DRAMATICALLY with one day of wind. So what may be an awesome bar one day, may disappear the next. 

8 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Also, soft structure can change DRAMATICALLY with one day of wind.

Amen to that.... 2 storms in the past month made poo poo all over my hot spots

Im Sorry but most of the  the fishermans talk lot of crap always no one will tell u good spots and what they using but they will tell u how many fish they get from spot that u fish and didn't get any.its all about time and how u reel with different lures please dont waste your money with lures places u go to fish u need bucktail,diamond jig and sp minnow stick with them for now than u try top water lures.dont pay attention wat they said and wat they use just go to place's and check u r self .