CLFish5

Help a newbie out!!

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

I am a newbie when it comes to catching stripers for the surf and I confess....I get skunked every time I go out!!! It’s really frustrating and I thought I could post on here for some help and guidance.

Some info:

1. I’ve fished 7-8 times in the past month and have gotten skunked each time.

2. I’ve fished the front of RM 5, 2, 4 as well as the back at those locations. I have also fished WE2 and JB 6. 
3. I normally fish the last 2 hours of incoming and the first two of outgoing.

4. I have used A17, A27, SP Minnows, bucktails of different sizes, soft plastics, and mag darters. I fish these as I believe I should. Varying retrieve speeds, bouncing off bottom, etc. 

This is my first fishing season. I started in July and did decently well off the jetties with the blues and fluke from shore. But I cannot catch a striper to save my life!!! It’s so frustrating! Yesterday I went out to the surf and literally couldn’t even cast it was so windy and the current was crazy. I used A17, 27, and bucktails and couldn’t even get them over the first breaker and bar. 

Please fisherman help me out. I am so passionate for this sport. I watch all the videos and use the reports to help guide me. I’ve put in hours of time and can’t land a fish.

Any advice for the noob? I would love to clarify on any missing info if needed!!

Try a big swimmer, A-40 or whatever. Toss it as far as you can and retrieve it as slow as you can. Rinse, repeat. Sometimes its just a matter of being there and being persistent. Learn a plug type at a time, under various situations, but cast it till you catch. 

Remember a few things:  First, we've had a lot storms, etc. recently.  Unless you get in just as they come in, the storms can ruin a bite for some time and push the fish offshore.  The east end has had netters which can really do a job at wiping out the shore bite.  Same thing with seals, I see seals I move on while daydreaming of "Canadian Club on the rocks...  WACK!"  And finally the big elephant in the room - NO MORE FISH.  (At least Blues and Bass)  Unless you go offshore and start picking away at the Last of the Cows.

I go out with the intent of getting large, but after getting the skunk if I have to catch something, go small with a teaser and you should be hitting into the small or rats that do make the appearance.  And no matter what, time spent on the beach is better than being wasted inland watching loonies on the idiot box IMHO.  Keep trying and keep in mind most of us are dealing with the skunk as well.

Find out when the peak of the season in your area usually is and then wait until that time. Tail end of the season to start your first surf fishing is not the best way to build confidence, but at some point we all take our lumps, or skunks. Funny how most newbies that I end up taking out always want to go when it is either way too early for them or way late, I always try to get them to wait til peak times, but they insist, so give them my best effort to put them on their first fish, rarely works out. One such newbie friend fished the early season skunking and was bummed but never gave up, peak season rolled around and he experienced a blitz and is now hooked for life, with the understanding it is worth the wait and early doldrums. Not sure about back east but for me out west if I could fish May-July without going back to work or coming home to my wife and kid, I would, peak season out here in my area in my opinion. What is nice about being new and fishing the tail end or begining of the season is you get spots to yourself and can work on casting, retrieving, swimming different lures, etc. without worry of tangling the guys around your or other fishing etiquette faux pas that might get Joe Sharpie fired up at you.  

Note that some plugs sink. Notably Atom poppers. Wooden bottle poppers are good too. As noted, work them slow. Also, an occasional stop & twitch before resuming the retrieve will tempt finicky fish.

MODs - this thread is spot burn pissing all over everything on the South Shore.

@ CL - first bit of advice is stop pissing on spots, you could have posted this thread and left the spots out and simply said South Shore or SS.

Feeble attempts at abbreviations are'nt fooling anyone.

If you think I'm being "salty" you are damn right, because I was just like you years ago, watched all the videos, found the spots...stood shoulder to shoulder with guys catching fish all around me while I did'nt ...asked all the questions and spent hundreds on the same lures.

The answer to your questions is YOU... posting on these boards, watching yootoob videos will only provide hints but not improve your catch rate.

I have spent hours and hours and hours and hours fishing to hone my skill, I don't care how many lures you list, you have'nt casted them enough to learn them.

You say you have spent hours... I've done 7pms to 7ams  tide to tide, nightfall to sunrise many a time with a skunk or a handful of fish and I've done it with a corporate job, a wife and kids... 

Were those sessions pathetic and confidence killers ? yes... but what I learned was invaluable and can never be learned on a forum or youtube.

You need to fish more that is your answer... and stop abbreviating or mentioning spots.

I spent years finding the spots.

Hours, days, months and seasons figuring them out for myself.

Now these same spots I used to be alone at even during prime conditions are neck to neck with mooks that saw some guy on youtube or instahore lipping schoolies.

4 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

@ CL - first bit of advice is stop pissing on spots, you could have posted this thread and left the spots out and simply said South Shore or SS.

If you think I'm being "salty" you are damn right, because I was just like you years ago, watched all the videos, found the spots...stood shoulder to shoulder with guys catching fish all around me while I did'nt ...asked all the questions and spent hundreds on the same lures.

The answer to your questions is YOU... posting on these boards, watching yootoob videos will only provide hints but not improve your catch rate.

I have spent hours and hours and hours and hours fishing to hone my skill, I don't care how many lures you list, you have'nt casted them enough to learn them.

You say you have spent hours... I've done 7pms to 7ams  tide to tide, nightfall to sunrise many a time with a skunk or a handful of fish and I've done it with a corporate job, a wife and kids... 

Were those sessions pathetic and confidence killers ? yes... but what I learned was invaluable and can never be learned on a forum or youtube.

You need to fish more that is your answer... and stop abbreviating or mentioning spots.

KZd26L2o8QXtK.gif

It wasn’t my intention to spot burn. It was my intention to seek guidance from those who know more than me. 

Any one reading this board has seen the spots mentioned both on this board and all over the internet so yea those spots have been burned already...

Thanks to those who responded. If anyone else can provide some guidance I would appreciate a post here or a DM. 

Lets help you out.

1. I’ve fished 7-8 times in the past month and have gotten skunked each time.

Did you write down what did not work and do the opposite. Keep doing the same thing and not catching?  What where the conditions like winds and tides.  Did you have optimal conditions for the bait present.  Did you fish fishy water or the correct structure for the bait present.  All things you need to figure out by spending more time on the water.  When you start to catch write it down and ask yourself why did it happen.  

2. I’ve fished the front of RM 5, 2, 4 as well as the back at those locations. I have also fished WE2 and JB 6.

Great areas as easy access but there or fish in other areas like the North shore.  Also people get upset when your or very specific.   Please next time do not post areas as many people put in there time and dont want to fish with a crowed of report chasers.  If so you can always move away and find fish anyway,  Fishing in a line sucks for one part.  You cant work the area .  Yesterday a.m.there was a line up on the beach and everyone was casting tins.  There was white water on the lip of the beach.  Many went fishless.  I moved down to another area and used (sand eel rubber shads, this is a hint on one bait that fish or keyed on) and had a ball with schoolies.  I could have never worked that angle or lure with a line up.  Something I learned way back and you will too,  

3. I normally fish the last 2 hours of incoming and the first two of outgoing.

Maybe that is the wrong tide?  Try to work the moving parts of the tides.  This is very general questions to answer.  

4. I have used A17, A27, SP Minnows, bucktails of different sizes, soft plastics, and mag darters. I fish these as I believe I should. Varying retrieve speeds, bouncing off bottom,

All wrong.  Do you understand the different weight of a A17 or A27 or higher.  Have you mastered any of these lures.  Probably not.  I would say fish the AVA like a bucktail but you need to learn how to fish that lure first.  Each lure you mentioned has a place and time.  The time for each lure with be dictated by the conditions,  the piece of water your working, winds, and water movement.  Start learning and mastering the buck tail.  This lure can be used in almost any conditions as long as your using the right weight.  Match almost any bait too.

I would not look at all those youtube videos.  Many of them do not have correct info.  They or only posting now because fishing is easy and can not post videos though out the year when fishing is harder and more skill is involved to catch them.  There is good info out by few but be aware there or in business,  And looking to push certain products.

And reports or old news usually.  Do not chase reports but its ok to read them and figure out what bait they or seeing.

But most important if you or only looking to catch and not learning then go on a charter boats.  Those guys know the tides and where the fish our.  This will give you instant gratification.  Keep in mind they will take you out on the bad tides too.

But if your looking to learn the best thing to do is spending as much time available on the water. Make friends, see others catching and understand what there doing and the most part dont get frustrated. Good luck,,,as you may learn more in 2 trips on the water then your will find in this thread including my post and the internet.    

7 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

You can't be serious. :dismay: Good thing he didn't mention MTK. 

For a total newb id recommend a swim shad like a tsunami where the hook comes out the top and has a concealed weight. No matter how you fish this you cant do it wrong just cast out and reel in at different speeds maybe give the tip a little twitch here and there. 

Go back down to the beach around sunset or sunrise dont worry about throwing it far just pick a spot make 10-15 good casts if you get nothing walk another 50 yards and start over. Eventually you’ll get lucky with a fish in the whitewater a lot closer than you’d think.

You’ll get one get out there this week plenty of schoolies everywhere 

4 hours ago, Rip-Line said:

You can't be serious. :dismay: Good thing he didn't mention MTK. 

Rip - The location of where he is fishing is totally irrelevant to the topic he is posting about.

As a clear newbie to the forum I'm educating him now ..before his next post is  "I scored 15 fish at high tide from JB Field 6, 100 paces from the main entrance, just past the old man reading a newspaper"

How you like me now?

4 hours ago, carznfish said:

For a total newb id recommend a swim shad like a tsunami

Piss poor advice... sand eel bite is on... I'm catching on diamond jigs at night even   ...there is a reason why 50 guys in a daytime line up are casting A17 green tubes

5 hours ago, Chrisabbatiello said:

Varying retrieve speeds, bouncing off bottom,

All wrong. 

Piss poor advice ... I bounce A17s off the bottom sometimes and they kill.

Ever see a sand eel puff sand off the bottom... A17 can do the same.

Try everything...slow, fast, jig, twitch, bounce.... you don't know what they want or how they want it