yupitsnuge

ultralight rod for tossing 1/2oz shads to schoolie stripers

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

St croix avid salmon and steelhead.  They have several lengths and lure ratings, the rods rated to 3/4 are exactly what you’re looking for. I pair mine with either a 4000 shimano or my VR50. Definitely take a look, don’t be afraid of them being “freshwater” rods. 

I built a setup for myself using an MHX SU965F blank, and I've been incredibly impressed with it's ability to cast light soft plastics. Worth a look if you're willing to go the custom route. 

5 hours ago, yupitsnuge said:

I'd like to find a nice ultralight rod to use for tossing 1/2 oz jig heads carrying plastic swimming shads to small schoolie stripers. I have a VR50 and Stradic Ci4 that I want to use. Maybe pick up a NASCI with lighter line just for this. I've been out of the light tackle game for a bit so not sure what's current offerings. I'm using a 10' suzuki black hole surf rod that's rate 1/2-2 oz. It's great, but too big for small back bay use. What's out there right now for this?

The century weapon jr is sick. Just about the nicest rod ever made for light tackle. Love it.

7 hours ago, yupitsnuge said:

I'm using a 10' suzuki black hole surf rod that's rate 1/2-2 oz. It's great, but too big for small back bay use. What's out there right now for this?

Have you played with the 8' suzuki special? May fit the bill nicely 

7 hours ago, yupitsnuge said:

I'd like to find a nice ultralight rod to use for tossing 1/2 oz jig heads carrying plastic swimming shads to small schoolie stripers. I have a VR50 and Stradic Ci4 that I want to use. Maybe pick up a NASCI with lighter line just for this. I've been out of the light tackle game for a bit so not sure what's current offerings. I'm using a 10' suzuki black hole surf rod that's rate 1/2-2 oz. It's great, but too big for small back bay use. What's out there right now for this?

Suzuki 9'6 cut to 9 feet from vlbutt

7 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

Suzuki 9'6 cut to 9 feet from vlbutt

That rod throws 8 oz lol. I use it for sharks in the keys. 

Edited by fvgourami3

I was tossing 1/4oz jigs with 4" z-mans to stripers this weekend, and caught fish 15-23" no problem, with my 6'6MH tsunami slow pitch. It's a great spinning rod for your purpose I think, and they also have a 7' model if you want a longer casting distance. I also like my st croix mojo bass 7'1 MH rod as well, and I throw similar sized lures with it. I think the slow pitch has a bigger effective weight range though, but both are pretty stout in case you catch a fish bigger than what you were targeting, which is always a nice problem to have!

If you’re down with a more moderate action rod, a MH or H salmon/steelhead rod is the way to go.... I have two 9’ H and one 8’6” H and all are nice and light with plenty of power for the lite to ultra-lite salt stuff..... Killer rods for Albies!

1 hour ago, fvgourami3 said:

That rod throws 8 oz lol. I use it for sharks in the keys. 

The 9 6 black hole Suzuki does not throw 8 ounces unless you want to love it or snap the blank. It throws 1/2 to 3 oz 1 1/2 a b sweet spot

Yeah, this is just what the Stripers need with the current state of the fishery.  A bunch of guys maiming dinks with ultra light gear because all the big fish are already dead.  With all the talk of the high mortality rate on released fish why put extra stress on them with light gear?  Make sure you take 5 minutes to snap a selfie of your schoolie as well before releasing (to possibly die).

8 mins ago, frezzy said:

Yeah, this is just what the Stripers need with the current state of the fishery.  A bunch of guys maiming dinks with ultra light gear because all the big fish are already dead.  With all the talk of the high mortality rate on released fish why put extra stress on them with light gear?  Make sure you take 5 minutes to snap a selfie of your schoolie as well before releasing (to possibly die).

Relax. If you can’t land a 24” fish on a 3/4 oz rod in under 10 seconds you shouldn’t be fishing.  I don’t think I’ve EVER landed a schoolie that wasn’t completely green. should you be targeting monsters with light rods? Definitely not.  But it should be plenty obvious when it’s just dinks around.