coolhandfluke

anyone here use planet fittness ?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

The best thing about planet fitness is the lunk alarm. It was designed to attempt to humiliate people getting it in, but really serves as more of a “getting some” siren until the pansy police come and ask you to not push past your limits. Get one more rep in in front of them then say ok. For now haha 

5 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

as I am getting older and fatter from sitting on my arse every day at work I was thinking of joining just to use a treadmill to start and maybe lift some weights as time goes. 30 years ago I went faithfully to a gym and lifted every other day.

I see they are running a special 10.00 dollars a month and no fees or contract.  curious if this is really true ? if anyone has used this promo. I have one not 2 minutes from work where I could spend my lunch hour at.

I pay $99 per year.  Can only use one of their locations.  Its an unadvertised special that they run around the holidays.  Bet if you ask, they’ll give it to you.

The Hardest part of any fitness program is to stay with it long enough to see some results. Like others have said, start slow and work towards a reasonable goal. I started exercising regularly as a young teen and never stopped. I’m now 58 and if I hadn’t started a  fitness lifestyle , so early,  I’d probably be like  most of the rest of the world and unable to  run around the block. I never used commercial gyms. I used Running, cycling and swimming for cardio and calisthenics for strength. Pushups, sit-ups and pull-ups won’t build giant muscles but they’ll build core strength and endurance better than fancy gym equipment and all you need is a space on some floor and a doorway to hang from to do them. Start slow. Set reasonable goals and work toward them. You don’t need gyms. 

I do so much fishing, walking, kayaking during the year, I can still wear the same pants size for the past 20 years.

My doctor told me fishing isn't exercise until I explained to her that during the summer I walk well over a mile day or night and maybe more so during the winter ice season. She understood.

Add to that spending 4-6 hours paddling and casting in a kayak, 3+ hours casting from the surf and drilling lots of holes by hand thru 1"+ of ice and it all adds up.

14 hours ago, JAO said:

They eye candy isn't bad either... pick the right treadmill and you're set.  Won't get views like that on your own treadmill or walking in the dark.

source.gif

images.jpeg-18.jpg

Q6Em9oe.gif

yoga-pants-21.jpg

karsciausiu-pastarosios-savaites-merginu-galerija-40-foto-ir-gif.gif

On 10/29/2019 at 8:26 AM, coolhandfluke said:

as I am getting older and fatter from sitting on my arse every day at work I was thinking of joining just to use a treadmill to start and maybe lift some weights as time goes. 30 years ago I went faithfully to a gym and lifted every other day.

I see they are running a special 10.00 dollars a month and no fees or contract.  curious if this is really true ? if anyone has used this promo. I have one not 2 minutes from work where I could spend my lunch hour at.

Check out the fatty thread. It's littered with fat bodies trying to treadmill, themselves into shape. Ain't going to happen. Never liked them, I preferred running outside or in my old age walking the hood or cycling. After surgery, I spent up to an hour and a half on the cycle and never saw bodies like the one in the video. Just a Bunch of unmotivated chubbers mindlessly walking or pedaling.

Nothing builds muscle faster than lifting. If they have a squat rack, squat and deadlift. Got a bunch of jacked older guys by me, they never seem to do legs. Do some basic compound bench, rows, pull-ups over head press. Covers all the bases

Eat **** look like ****. Get your diet in order, easiest way to cut the pounds. Easier to cut 500 calories than burn it off and I always end up hungry after an hour ride. Nothing wrong with a little cardio, just not going to do much for body comp

Vanity is a good thing, probably no better motivator. Go get em.

I hear ya.   I am overweight but not a fatty.  no offense taken.   I want to walk mainly because now with it getting dark and cold out , cant do much outside at night and I find myself sitting most of the day for my job, and then sitting in the recliner watching sports or car shows till bedtime which aint good.   I don't have anywhere to walk during lunch and besides I hate the cold so I know I wont walk outside at night.

53 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

I hear ya.   I am overweight but not a fatty.  no offense taken.   I want to walk mainly because now with it getting dark and cold out , cant do much outside at night and I find myself sitting most of the day for my job, and then sitting in the recliner watching sports or car shows till bedtime which aint good.   I don't have anywhere to walk during lunch and besides I hate the cold so I know I wont walk outside at night.

Not trying to offend. Started training when I was twenty. Been to a few gyms. I watch people and wonder what the hell they are thinking. They waste so much time with rinky dink exercises instead of building a good foundation with some big compound movements. Most aren't looking for a big squat or bench, but that doesn't mean you can't incorporate them and save time.

After years and years they still haven't figured it out.

I just speak my mind. If they find it offensive, oh well. if it motivates them great and if they feel like cracking me, I'm okay with that. I'll still be getting it done or trying hard to and they'll likely move on to the next big thing in weight loss and exercise.

My younger brother is 63 and he moved to the west coast of Fl in this old age community. The median age is 74. His MIL lives there so they wanted to be close, but he's not happy being around old people. Wake up the other day and ask what towels I should use when I shower. His wife is like a museum curator. Much of what is in the house is decorative, so I don't want to use something that was just meant to be looked at. 

I pull the shower curtain aside and ask what tis thing is he has clamped onto the tub.Turns out it was some kind of handle to get him in and out of the tub. Dude, you're 63 and you can't get in the tub and you're complaining about all the pill popping Qtips. You're there. Then he starts showing me some mobility videos. He's trying to micro manage his aches and pains. Do some exercise and then worry about what's causing the pain. Add a little muscle mass and if it still hurts figure out why

Bottom line you sit too long, or stand too long in one place on the job and you forget how to move.

I have the black card membership, which is 20 a month. Let me take my son when he was home, and let's me use any PF facility. Have one close to work, and one closer to home. I use it for exactly what you're looking to do....when the weather is nice, I'm outside, but when it isn't the gym is a nice back up. One thing Ive also noticed is, both of the ones I go to are strategically located within minutes of a college. No lack of spandex clad coeds if you like that sort of thing...

In our town, it's $10 per month but after 6 months they hit you with a $40 "maintenance fee". A number of people also complain about canceling their membership but the billing never stops....actually, it's come up enough that I believe it's an intentional practice. 

having said that, as a retiree, I can go when it's not busy, it's clean, free classes, and good equipment.