Fly By Nite

WTF Giants

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Really scratching my head over this Leonard Williams trade.  Giants giving up what is basically a high second round pick in addition to what could be a 4th round pick just to rent him out for 8 games while they sit at 2-6.  Good for the Jets- they stole a decent pick from them. They could probably replace him with a 3rd rounder and get the same exact production and not have to pay Leonard.  Crazy stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

Really scratching my head over this Leonard Williams trade.  Giants giving up what is basically a high second round pick in addition to what could be a 4th round pick just to rent him out for 8 games while they sit at 2-6.  Good for the Jets- they stole a decent pick from them. They could probably replace him with a 3rd rounder and get the same exact production and not have to pay Leonard.  Crazy stuff.

its definitely a head scratcher.  its not as bad tho on the surface when you assume they are going to resign him, and think maybe he will be a tick or 2 better than he was with the jets.  they have a ton of open cap space coming up.  probably have already agreed on a deal.  and will be getting a 3rd rd pick from collins.  i dont know, im trying to be optimistic.  also, if they dont resign him and he goes somewhere for any decent $ they will get back the #3 pick, so theyre "gambling" with a #5 which doesnt really matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it... thought it was genius.  Jets are picking up $4 of the $6 million.  So you are not renting him per we, you are getting a half season look at him in your system, which should. E more natural for his development, for nothing financially. If he works you sign him... if not cut him loose.. he was on Giants raider anyway, so now they get a no risk tryout without a long term deal.  The giants get a compensatory 3rd round pick anyway... so giving the pick up was not a biggie, he is more proven than anything they would find in the third round or later. 

The Jets were fleeced as usual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, buckmaster said:

I love it... thought it was genius.  Jets are picking up $4 of the $6 million.  So you are not renting him per we, you are getting a half season look at him in your system, which should. E more natural for his development, for nothing financially. If he works you sign him... if not cut him loose.. he was on Giants raider anyway, so now they get a no risk tryout without a long term deal.  The giants get a compensatory 3rd round pick anyway... so giving the pick up was not a biggie, he is more proven than anything they would find in the third round or later. 

The Jets were fleeced as usual. 

LOL.  It's great how the Giants think they're getting a 3rd rounder anyway so giving the Jets a 3 doesn't matter.  Would you rather have one 3rd round pick or two?  Does 1+1=1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

LOL.  It's great how the Giants think they're getting a 3rd rounder anyway so giving the Jets a 3 doesn't matter.  Would you rather have one 3rd round pick or two?  Does 1+1=1?

What’s lol about it.  You would rather have two 3rd round picks, than one 3rd round pick and a relatively proven commodity with upside, since he was used improperly and not playing a natural position. Could you guarantee me a pro bowl caliber player with that 3rd round pick.. because you are getting the 6th overall pick and a pro bowler in this case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How was he used improperly?  He was just OK against the run. Never got sacks.  Think he was on the reserves list at the one pro bowl. I believe Macaganan drafted him 6th overall but his overall production can be replaced with a 3rd rounder.  Not a terrible player. Definitely not an impact player. If the Giants can get better production out of him then that's great for everyone.  WHole time he was a Jet you wouldn't know he existed.  I'll take the 2 3rd round picks and not have to pay his salary next year. And if they really need an average DE, they can sign him next year and keep the 2 picks(if you say he is proven then why would you need to get an 8 game look at him?????

Edited by Fly By Nite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a change of scenery and some good coaching ( which I don't believe the jets provided) can change a player and bring out the best of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.