Well I'll Be Damned, Thar Be Quahogs!!

Rate this topic

Roccus7

4 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Oh, you live on the same side of the country as the "Other Portland".  How about digging some geoducks too?  I've always called them "steamers on steroids" although it seems that gapers are "smaller geoducks."

Geoducks may be in the future. But we are on thr very southern end of their range. I think Butters and Quohogs are the same though.

Granted they do look alike from photos, but different Genus and Species, East Coast Quahogs = Mercinaria mercinaria, Butter Clams = Saxidomus giganteus.  I see that the butters have the Quahog nickname too. 

The Eastern Native American tribes used the Hard Shell Clam for the blue and white beads of Wampum, and the name Quahog is a derivation from the native Narragansett word poquauhock.

Not sure how you collect them, but if you use a rake you should be finding small ones alongside the big ones.

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

On 10/31/2019 at 10:49 PM, Roccus7 said:

Granted they do look alike from photos, but different Genus and Species, East Coast Quahogs = Mercinaria mercinaria, Butter Clams = Saxidomus giganteus.  I see that the butters have the Quahog nickname too. 

The Eastern Native American tribes used the Hard Shell Clam for the blue and white beads of Wampum, and the name Quahog is a derivation from the native Narragansett word poquauhock.

Not sure how you collect them, but if you use a rake you should be finding small ones alongside the big ones.

The man knows his mollusks!

[/sIGPIC]"Never let the truth spoil a good story"

5 hours ago, akon said:

What are they always raking for in boats along 295 in new meadows River?

Hard shell clams, just like I got a few rivers further Downeast...

• 1 month later...

Been clamming regularly when tide, weather and daylight all align so I was out there yesterday and dug up the biggest quahog I've ever seen, Clammasaurus giganticus.  He'll soon be bathing a garlic/olive oil/white wine bath for tonight's dinner...

clamasaurus rex.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Utilized the Wolf Moon tide and hit the clam area with the added bonus of finding some oysters.  Additionally, found another 5" clam, Clamzilla II.  We had a great raw bar this evening!!

raw bar.jpg

good haul.jpg

clamzilla II.jpg

nice looking oysters cups .

the local oysters farms have the restruants  so [bought into]  the perfect cup] of the oyster  …….. that when we catch a few wilds as by catch >>> THE DEALERS >>>> even thro they know we have a superior tasting &  meat size . they want to pick thru our catch & only buy the perfect shape ones . too bad so much of the general public is clueless ><><

IMG_1452.JPG

black gold.jpg

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_4146.JPG

shellfish2.JPG

hogs 002.JPG

8 hours ago, clammer said:

nice looking oysters cups .

the local oysters farms have the restruants  so [bought into]  the perfect cup] of the oyster  …….. that when we catch a few wilds as by catch >>> THE DEALERS >>>> even thro they know we have a superior tasting &  meat size . they want to pick thru our catch & only buy the perfect shape ones . too bad so much of the general public is clueless ><><

IMG_1452.JPG

black gold.jpg

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_4146.JPG

shellfish2.JPG

hogs 002.JPG

Oy, tonging!!  My shoulders just screamed in protest seeing your photos!!  Did my stint "digging ditches, in Moriches, for my riches" during graduate school and have the empty Motrin bottles to prove it!  It's nice to only have to wrestle a small basket rake at this point in life.  One of my LI buddies asked if I wanted his old tongs in case I wanted to rake from my boat, but I declined from the age standpoint and the fact that the areas I dig are very rocky.  Can't imagine wrestling with tongs here.

Many oyster farms up here too, son & DIL visiting Ft Myers saw my river's oysters on the menu at a restaurant!!  I can't really tell if the taste is any better, although I do know when I shuck a bunch within an hour of coming out of the water, especially this time of year with near-freezing water, they are amazing in taste.  And since I'm not selling, I really don't give a rat's azz if they're covered in barnacles, clumped, or just plain ugly; it's all briny deliciousness on the inside!!