ASrod

Eating bunker

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, ASrod said:

They eat mullet over there. Maybe it was only the region I lived in but they love it over there.

They like it in the American South, too.

I knew an angler from Mississippi who called it "Biloxi bacon" and said that it is a staple at church fish fries down there.

But when you talk about mullet in the Mediterranean, you have to make sure what fish you're talking about.  They have what I'll call "true" mullet--members of the family Mugilidae.  But they also like a fish that they call "red mullet," which is actually a species of goatfish, family Mullidae.

Edited by CWitek

I caught a bunch once and told my friend we'll just keep these for bait. He insist on giving them to friends to eat against anything I said.

Turns out later when I ask him, all his friends were complaining of too many small bones on the fish. But didn't complain about the taste. :hooked:

Trick is to marinate in half vinegar and half 5W-30 overnight then tack to a red oak plank and tilt it over a hickory coal fire to bake. After 25 minutes remove the bunker and eat the plank. Works equally well for albies.  :p

36 mins ago, CWitek said:

They like it in the American South, too.

I knew an angler from Mississippi who called it "Biloxi bacon" and said that it is a staple at church fish fries down there.

But when you talk about mullet in the Mediterranean, you have to make sure what fish you're talking about.  They have what I'll call "true" mullet--members of the family Mugilidae.  But they also like a fish that they call "red mullet," which is actually a species of goatfish, family Mullidae.

In Maine they used to catch suckers in the Abbagadasset river in the winter, pack them in salt and ship them to Boston in wooden boxes marked "Mullet".

1 hour ago, KennebecJake said:

Trick is to marinate in half vinegar and half 5W-30 overnight then tack to a red oak plank and tilt it over a hickory coal fire to bake. After 25 minutes remove the bunker and eat the plank. Works equally well for albies.  :p

Believe it or not, albies can be good in sushi/sashimi.

You have to bleed them extremely well, then ice them thoroughly, and eat them the same day; if you try to hold them overnight, they oxidize and aren't good.  But if they are handled properly and eaten fresh--and raw--they're fine.

I wouldn't have believed it, but a friend who does a lot of fish and game cooking insisted that they were fine, and when he caught one last fall at an event we were hosting, he insisted on making sashimi for the assembled crowd.  I tried it, and was very pleasantly surprised.

Having said that, I haven't made it for myself since I tried it that day.  My wife and I aren't going to eat an entire albie in one sitting, which means that most would go to waste, and there are just too many other fish out there.  But I'll never deny that I liked it that one time.

11 hours ago, ASrod said:

Now was he just taking a bite, or taking a bite and swallowing?

Took a bite and chewed it up, pretty much disintegrated in my mouth tasted like sh*t swallowed it down with a beer and proceeded to puke for quite some time. Definitely not worth it ! But I can tell this story and have admitted to it when asked about it. 

Spearing battered in seasoned flower and fried are delicious. 

Crispy mildly fishy french fry looking things with eyes.  Dipped in marinara they are fantastic.  Wash in cold water, season with salt an pepper and then toss in flower until uniformly coated.  Pre-heat a large quantity of canola oil, though other high smoke point blends will suffice and drop into the hot oil until lightly brown an crisp.  Remove, season again and serve.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've eaten smoked mullet, I can also tell you that mullet looks alot more attractive than menhaden. Killie's, they just go down in one bite.

Edited by Grayson

Posted (edited) · Report post

Smoked mullet is a big deal in Florida, fresh mullet, too.

I remember watching guys seining for mullet in the bayou behind the St. Pete KOA we used to stay at when I was a kid. They would net a mess of them for Friday fish fry at the campground. They were delicious!

Growing up in Stamford, we’d be fishing for snapper blues on the beach along the channel and the Italians would be filling coolers seining silversides to freeze for Christmas feast of 7 fishes or something like that. Never tried them but... plenty of people were eating them.

As kids we used to spear suckers from the river behind my house. We’d roast them over a fire we’d build on a sandbar and eat them up. Nice, mild flavor, white meat. I’d eat them anytime. 

I think American shad is delicious, and I ate plenty of it back in the days when we used to catch them from the banks of the CT River. The roe is excellent eating, too. Both the filets and the roe are out of this world when smoked. 

False albacore tastes like the dark meat from a 20 pound bluefish, only fishier. It is edible, but not very tasty in my experience.

Menhaden? .. no thanks. 

Edited by RI: best part of CT