ASrod

Eating bunker

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

Years ago went out on a party boat from Sheepshead Bay with 50 guys from work,  our boss said he would pay for the trip plus $100 bucks to anyone who took a bite out of a bunker. Well I did it and spent the next hour puking my guts up, this wasn't fresh snagged bunker this was from the crate of bait ! Probably sat around in the sun for a few hours before we got on the boat. I was probably half way through a case of beer by this time so I didn't really think it through  ! Stupid me, I'll never make that mistake again  !:dismay::upck:

OK, based on this, I am going to give the spearing a try next time the opportunity arises.

You can keep bunker.

And shad for that matter.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

Years ago, I went to the Fulton Fish Market late in the year--late November or early December--and they were selling the same metal cans of spearing for human consumption that we were buying to toss into the mix when we were tuna chunking inshore (this was about 40 years ago).  Apparently, from what I was told, they were frequently a part of the traditional Italian "Feast of the Seven Fishes" Christmas Eve dinner.

Well, I'm Italian, grew up in a traditional Italian household, but I never saw spearing on Christmas eve. But I have had it throughout Europe, and it's pretty good. Sometimes after a days' fluke fishing I'm tempted to bring the air home and fry it up! :eek:

Edited by MakoMike

37 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Well, I'm Italian, grew up in a traditional Italian household, but I never saw spearing on Christmas eve. But I have had it throughout Europe, and it's pretty good. Sometimes after a days' fluke fishing I'm tempted to bring the air home and fry it up! :eek:

Father of a friend of mine had it every Christmas Eve years ago

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, CWitek said:

If you read Peter Mattiessen's book Men's Lives, which chronicles the East End baymen, you'll find another of references to the old-time baymen eating bunker.  There is even a quote from someone--I think it was a bayman's wife--saying that they didn't understand what all of the fuss over striped bass was about, because if you wanted a fish with real flavor, you'd eat a bunker, which the person said they preferred.

Are you sure it wasn't SIM? :laugh:

Edited by Joe

On 11/8/2019 at 3:14 PM, PCstriper said:

Years ago went out on a party boat from Sheepshead Bay with 50 guys from work,  our boss said he would pay for the trip plus $100 bucks to anyone who took a bite out of a bunker. Well I did it and spent the next hour puking my guts up, this wasn't fresh snagged bunker this was from the crate of bait ! Probably sat around in the sun for a few hours before we got on the boat. I was probably half way through a case of beer by this time so I didn't really think it through  ! Stupid me, I'll never make that mistake again  !:dismay::upck:

You're a sick eff

Can't believe y'all are eating the carrier for the anise, the hell else am I supposed to chunk with as I smoke 2 packs of cigs and drink coffee. Bunch of Gary Yokohama throwing animals.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:44 PM, MakoMike said:

They eat mullet over there. Maybe it was only the region I lived in but they love it over there.